First word that comes into your head when describing Rishi Sunak.

Although I suspect that for quite a few on here, it’s the thought that some people may have done slightly better for themselves than they did. It seems to really get to them.
It's not that though, is it? It's the difference between someone born into privilege who tries to use their position to make things better for everyone, and someone born into privilege who spends their entire career working to maintain that privilege and advantage for everyone in the same position. If people hated everyone who had done better than themselves, then we'd hate every Man City player, every comedian and actor on TV, every musician, every doctor. It's just bollocks. What we hate is rich people who enter government to further enrich themselves and their peers at the expense of everyone else.

What’s the problem with working hard, earning decent money and wanting to give your children the best education?

Absolutely nothing wrong with any of those. The problem is that lots of people do the first but aren't rewarded with the latter. Sadly after a period where social mobility in this country improved we've gone backwards. I don't think most people are even after an egalitarian ideal, they just want the increased loading of the dice in favour of the affluent to be reversed. Don't think that's the politics of envy, it's just wanting to live in a decent society. I don't think that's too much to ask is it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.