Football ground with a train line running through it!

And yet we whinge about the amount of smoke in the Bogs at Etihad.

ffJTlDz.gif

Yes it did and at half time they used to bring trucks through with boilers on them from Galloways. Great story in one of my books about the time the boiler got stuck in front of the Boys Stand.
Found this map on google images having looked for pictures of Hyde Road for a thread in the history forum.
The railway line splitting the pitch from the stands can be clearly seen in the top right hand corner
Ardwickmap1.jpg

Found this map on google images having looked for pictures of Hyde Road for a thread in the history forum.
The railway line splitting the pitch from the stands can be clearly seen in the top right hand corner
Ardwickmap1.jpg
I remember the flats in Bennett Street back in the 70s,have they all gone ?

Ardwickmap1.jpg
That map is based on the 1915 map that appeared in my 1997 book Manchester The Greatest City. It's worth highlighting for everyone the different stands. Here goes... Top right on other side of the track is the Boys Stand - a place where lads were free of adult influence and a place that generated a particular sense of City identity (very important to City as time moved forward), top is the Main Stand, destroyed by fire in 1920 but replaced with a basic wooden stand immediately after; left - Stone Yard Stand/Hotel End, part seated part terracing.
; bottom - Popular Side - main terraced stand; right - Galloway End - terracing.

I try and send my trains into the swamp on match day. So far zero successes...

Remember going to Hull City Away in Jan 1970 3rd round FA Cup - courtesy of Connolly’s coaches, Gorton. I’m sure Boothferry Park had its own Railway Station right into the ground.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.