Football ground with a train line running through it!

That was shot at Burnden Park, Bolton. The train line ran at the back of the open end behind the goal. I remember being at Burnden Park a few times when train drivers would slow their trains down to a crawl to watch a bit of a game then speed up again when they finally reached the other side.
The line went to the sheds. I once saw an engine stopped for almost a complete half, driver and fireman leaning out watching the match. No doubt on time and a half.

That was the incident I was referring to.

As I recall, Big Joe told the ref where the spot was and was booked for his troubles, then was proved right. I believe the ref stood up for Corrigan at a hearing to get the booking rescinded.
That ref was thick; he tried to pace out 12 yds from the goal line and finished well short. Six strides from either of the other lines would have been sensible or even just judge half way between them.

Did Shrewsbury have its own station or was it just very close to the main station with a path linking the two?
I went on the special in the 80s and was surprised how close Gay Meadow was to the station.
You are quite correct my friend it was a path from the station straight in to the away end

Derby county had one that was only ever used by four trains in it's 10 year history

Castleford rugby league ground had a railway line going past one end.
And Swinton's Station Rd. ground was next to a railway line.

Anyone go on the Special to Grimsby in the 80's? The train just stopped at the nearest post on the line to the ground and we all had to jump down from the steps onto the line and told to stand back while the train pulled forward and then cross both lines and through a gate and onto the ground. Fuck knows what they'd have done if anyone in a wheel chair was on board!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.