Games you went to and wished you had been somewhere else

The most recent: City v Soton, 29/11/2017

Until about the 96th minute...
That was one of my favourite games in recent memory.

I usually sit in SSL1, but I'd ended up in CBL3 with my brother in law. We were both wearing big parkas with deep pockets. We bought a couple of pints both before the game and at half time and hid the full pints inside said pockets. We strolled passed the stewardess on gate 326 and brought our drinks to the seats. I'd also snook a bit of Whiskey which was shared with the locals around me.

The day was all the more enjoyable with Raz's 96th-minute winner! If we'd had any beer left it would have gone everywhere!

Work the next day was a struggle.

That was one of my favourite games in recent memory.

I usually sit in SSL1, but I'd ended up in CBL3 with my brother in law. We were both wearing big parkas with deep pockets. We bought a couple of pints both before the game and at half time and hid the full pints inside said pockets. We strolled passed the stewardess on gate 326 and brought our drinks to the seats. I'd also snook a bit of Whiskey which was shared with the locals around me.

The day was all the more enjoyable with Raz's 96th-minute winner! If we'd had any beer left it would have gone everywhere!

Work the next day was a struggle.

We were in CBL3 that night, as well. Sad I was away from the whiskey (especially now, as I can’t drink these days)!

It is one of my favourites, as well. Not that it wasn’t genuinely frustrating until the very last kick of the game, as we hadn’t been playing particularly well. The mass simultaneous eruption of relief and joy (and no doubt other things for those blues that *really* love a good match-winning goal) was well worth it, though, as it always has been.

And you and I were lucky to be out of our usual places that night given Raz ran over to right in front of us to celebrate, with Mendy skip-sprinting the length of touch to join every other person in city gear wildly running to the fray. We were also at the perfect angle to see the curl on Raz’s shot (felt like it took ages to go in after it left his boot)!

I was obviously going mad in the moment (nearly threw the missus down L2 celebrating) but I did manage to snap this as the team were breaking up the revelry. Have a video, as well, but those aren’t easily posted on here.

7317-C7-B7-FC40-4278-A8-EF-F1-E21-E784-CF1.jpg

Something we can’t experience now, of course. Very much miss it. But I live away now, and can’t travel much for health reasons even without the pandemic, so it was always going to be thus for me.

Thanks for the memory travel, really brightened my day.

Wigan FA Cup final. Horrific. News of Mancini being sacked pre-game, loads of absolutely battered blues fighting each other having started way too early for the 5.30pm kick off and then the game itself.

Stoke away 1996. Dickov's debut. Full of hope for the new season with "winner" Alan Ball at the helm and our new £1m striker from Arsenal. 2-0 down at the break (including one from Mike Sheron) and playing absolute dogshit. I sat with my head in my hands at half-time wondering wtf I was doing there. A portent of darker times to come, but it's experiences like these that made us what we are. I wouldn't change a thing!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.