Garden Birds and wild birds thread.

Nice photo. They're gorgeous little birds and very social. We get clusters of them in regularly and currently have 6 of them around. They're very dependent on food being put out at this time of year and particularly like fat balls and fat trays but will also nibble on peanuts and eat seed off the bird table. They have a very high attrition rate in winter and up to 80% die off. A few years ago we had a record 13 during the summer but only two were left by the following spring.
Probably my favorite little bird, I built myself a photo hide in the garden a couple of years back & you could always tell when a flock of long tailed tits were about before you saw them by the high pitched "Chirp" they seemed to make :-)

With the cold weather there was quite a few different birds in the garden this morning not seen that often Greenfinch,Chaffinch, Wood pecker, Wren and Crow.

Mid afternoon there was a fox sat at the back of the garden watching the birds on the feeders.

With the cold weather there was quite a few different birds in the garden this morning not seen that often Greenfinch,Chaffinch, Wood pecker, Wren and Crow.

Mid afternoon there was a fox sat at the back of the garden watching the birds on the feeders.
I really do miss feeding the birds. My neighbours and I were avid bird feeders until the tram system was installed around the Airport and they disturbed all the wildlife, which in turn sent hundreds of rats into the housing estates, gardens and local area. Since then, we do not feed the birds, as we have seen rats in the bird feeders and in gardens etc. Nothing we do keeps them out, so best not to feed them, unfortunately. Before that, we all kinds of birds like you, including a woodpecker, like you, it used to love coconut biscuits, every morning, it would be there for it’s daily feed.

I really do miss feeding the birds. My neighbours and I were avid bird feeders until the tram system was installed around the Airport and they disturbed all the wildlife, which in turn sent hundreds of rats into the housing estates, gardens and local area. Since then, we do not feed the birds, as we have seen rats in the bird feeders and in gardens etc. Nothing we do keeps them out, so best not to feed them, unfortunately. Before that, we all kinds of birds like you, including a woodpecker, like you, it used to love coconut biscuits, every morning, it would be there for it’s daily feed.
That’s a shame.

I started in the lockdown feeding them. Wary of the rodents but with a cat it seems to have control. Garden is quite long so the feeders are at the back.

A day like today was great to see so many varieties.

Anyone seen any Waxwings?

There is a big influx this year and working their way down the country but not that mamny sightings around these parts as far as I can tell

Was at my mum's earlier today. She had loads of tiny birds at her numerous feeders. Then suddenly no birds at all, except a sparrow hawk hiding in one of her trees. Then as we're watching, a big green parrot arrived at the top of a neighbours's tree. All in tropical Wythenshawe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.