Gareth Taylor

What worries me curently is the way Taylor is speaking about his time at City. Doesn't look like he thinks it's coming to an end. The following excerpt is from his pre-match preview:

Taylor says he and Nielsen have already had positive conversations on how they can continue the team’s development moving forward, both in terms of fresh ideas and in bringing the best out of our relatively young squad.

“I’ve had a good conversation with Nils for a number of weeks,” the boss explained.

“We share the same ideas and views on many things which is good and on others he brings a wealth of experience having been at a high level with Denmark and Switzerland as well.

“It’s a great addition for us and something that will help me a lot to concentrate on what I do.

“I think he’ll be a strong source of support in helping us in other areas."
Oh that is a little concerning.

What worries me curently is the way Taylor is speaking about his time at City. Doesn't look like he thinks it's coming to an end. The following excerpt is from his pre-match preview:

Taylor says he and Nielsen have already had positive conversations on how they can continue the team’s development moving forward, both in terms of fresh ideas and in bringing the best out of our relatively young squad.

“I’ve had a good conversation with Nils for a number of weeks,” the boss explained.

“We share the same ideas and views on many things which is good and on others he brings a wealth of experience having been at a high level with Denmark and Switzerland as well.

“It’s a great addition for us and something that will help me a lot to concentrate on what I do.

He will get next season at least! We did have a lot of injures early in the season but looks like we not going to get champs league football though..

We are probably gonna try to polish a turd…. It’ll end up with us wasting another season and losing a few more of our better players.

If I was Taylor I'd be looking over my shoulder a little here tbh. I don't think we've ever had a women's director of football before, and now we've invented the role and appointed someone with zero experience of it, but lots of experience as a manager.

If anything starts to go wrong (from this point) we've a ready made replacement for Taylor waiting in the wings.

But what do you expect him to say in a pre match interview? That he disagreed with Nielsen because Nielsen thinks that he is incompetent and that the club will sack him. Despite what he said, I still don’t rule out he will get sacked. We already wasted 3 years with this buffoon and lost a bunch of outstanding players who were most likely unhappy with him. He is stubborn, doesn’t learn, and keeps repeating same mistakes because of low footballing IQ. But I am still hoping the club will eventually learn that there is no hope in Taylor.

But what do you expect him to say in a pre match interview? That he disagreed with Nielsen because Nielsen thinks that he is incompetent and that the club will sack him. Despite what he said, I still don’t rule out he will get sacked. We already wasted 3 years with this buffoon and lost a bunch of outstanding players who were most likely unhappy with him. He is stubborn, doesn’t learn, and keeps repeating same mistakes because of low footballing IQ. But I am still hoping the club will eventually learn that there is no hope in Taylor.
If a decision had been made then I would expect it to be less about the future and more about the now.

He needs to be gone. He shouldn't have been here this season, but if he gets another year after what we have gone through this one, it will feel like the club don't care for the women's teams. No getting champions league next season (virtually would be the third one in a rowd we didn't really play the last two) has to be an automatic reason for him being sacked.

Yesterday was a perfect example of how lacking his tactics are, players out of position, all over the place, looking like they didn't know what they were supposed to do.

I don't know what the feeling in the locker room is, but if he gets renewed, hopefully it's not the same situation as last summer when some of the key players left (we all know it was because of him).

I think the potential in this group is there, I don't think the management is up to that level at all, let's hope the people in the club see this too

Yeah that was my reading of his comments too. All sounded like pretty stock responses to me and the kind of stuff any manager comes out with even if he knows he's on his way.

I can't imagine that someone like Nielsen would take up a role like this and retain Taylor's services if he thought he wasn't up to the job. He's got a really solid CV and it's his first Director of football role and at a club with good resources available to it. You'd expect that this is something he can't wait to get stuck into and he'll want to make his own mark.

There were reports earlier in the season - I saw it rumoured in The Athletic, for instance, before I stopped subscribing - that Steph Houghton would retire as a player at the end of the season and take a place on the coaching staff. I hope they don't think that by making her Taylor's assistant, that will remedy all ills.

I assume that Taylor originally got the job because they want the women's team to mirror the style of play of the men's team, and he had experience of trying to implement it at youth level for several years. But it seems to me to have been a mistake and that the coach of our women's team should be someone with a demonstrable track record in the women's game.

I doubt Steph is yet ready for the top job. However, she's an impressive figure and I have no issue with her learning the ropes from a really top women's coach.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.