General Election June 8th

Who will you vote for at the General Election?

• Conservatives

Votes: 189 28.8%
  • Labour

Votes: 366 55.8%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 37 5.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 23 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 33 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
steam_iron.jpg
lol

Oh I agree - especially near the end when pressed about what the 'dire consequences' were if a deal with the EU is not secured - strangely though I was expecting even worse

I think that she would have been much better to not have made the U-Turn and then say when pressed by Neil that people's homes are already at risk and that she is effectively quadrupling the amount of protection available now - and for most of the chronic illnesses removing the risk altogether - shocking management.

That said - she had the big majority in the bag - she should have left contentious matters out of the manifesto and kept it all about the strength to negotiate with the EU - her or Corbyn. Some strategist has dropped a right bollock

Re your last para, I see it slightly differently. The manifesto presented an opportunity to come up with something fairly radical on social care, particularly with the prospect of a sizeable majority. She would have secured a mandate, which would stand her in good stead. It would have been the honourable thing to do too. IMO it went tits up entirely because the policy she alighted on was utter shite. Reading between the lines, she didn't even bother to get full cabinet buy-in. I assume she was taking a big victory for granted and had begun to believe her own presidential hype.

I think because she was stupid enough to enshrine in a manifesto a process that will formalise people having their homes sold to pay for care - rather than has it currently happens - that people end up doing that anyway has they (the relatives) do not have the money to pay the care homes whilst the person receiving the care is still alive.

I have a friend in the heart-rending position of seeing her dad's estate dwindle by the week - week in and week out as he survives - but with no quality of life.

It is not talked about but it would be better for her if he was to pass away.
My uncle is a few doors down from my mum on the nursing wing at the care home they're both in. He's virtually a vegetable through dementia and the cost is crippling my aunt. He was a partner in a firm of accountants so they were reasonably well off but all his share of the house has gone. If he'd had a stroke or cancer and been in hospital long term then it wouldn't have cost a penny. Yet because he has dementia and needs everything doing for him it's nearly ruined them financially.

Think this thread should take a leaf out of the parties books and suspend itself for the day.

Not a day for division but us all banding together as mancs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.