General Election June 8th

Who will you vote for at the General Election?

• Conservatives

Votes: 189 28.8%
  • Labour

Votes: 366 55.8%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 37 5.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 23 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 33 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
French tv apparently talking of a high turnout and youth turnout

Exit poll on BBC in less than an hour..

they are the masters of predictions.. check this scarily accurate precition out:

Don't start celebrating for Labour yet Bluemoon.. all you Labour luvvies on here and Twitter polls might have to put the champagne on ice for the Silent Tory Majority..

Flipping the figures round is not right either but you can't deny that this system is crazy , 3.8m voters are not represented , is this democracy ?
Well out of a nearly 70m population there will be a lot of voters that don't get their way. I think the current system is still the fairest for across the country (besides unequal devolution that can f*** off). If feasible, the prime minister/a president would add more fairness whoever gets the most votes overall though - particularly where local representation doesn't apply (e.g. if a president in a particular system).

I'm just looking forward to Corbyn getting sacked in the morning and all his student unions going with him. They are so annoying !

the BBC will have to be VERY brave to predict a Labour victory, or even a hung parliament..

I actually suspect that the polls (by YouGov etc) showing closeness is fabricated to generate interest and to encourage people to vote when in reality the Conservatives are heading for a landslide.. but that's the cynic in me.

What's BluePhil's handle? Surprised I haven't seen his username mentioned in this election thread.

Labour's figures do add up but don't stand up to scrutiny. They amount to an academic projection of how much revenue would be raised assuming no avoidance measures were taken by any of the entities facing a higher tax burden. The reality is those facing higher taxes would be very very likely to avoid and mitigate their higher liabilities wherever possible. As you rightly say, however, Labour's spending commitments are costed, whereas the conservatives' aren't. So the choice we face today is between a party whose costings don't stand up to scrutiny, and a party whose costings are non-existent.

Heigh ho.
Trouble is mate based on your argument you can never raise tax on businesses or top end earners because they will avoid it.
Which means you have to raise it on the ordinary punters. NICS on white van man coming to a cinema near you soon?
In times of austerity people will only put up with that for so long and I believe we are getting near that point.
Also why are the Tories reducing corporation tax from it's present 20% to 17%? Why not keep it at 20% and spend the 3% you would have given away on public services?
If 20 to 17% is justified, why not drop corporation tax to 0 % then businesses will flock to the UK and more people will be in employment and tax revenues will increase to offset the lost tax revenues.
What is the right level of corporation tax?, maybe 26% is ok - lowest in G7.
It's not as simple as you make out?
Sorry for a rambling post, have to go now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.