GM Mayor Debate

Fair enough, so where would you draw the line as regards a functional city?
Maybe I should have said - I don't recognise Greater Manchester as a county. As a sub-administrative body it's useful I suppose. I don't recognise Cumbria as a county either - it's a historic region of land (the North West) of which we are part of - or any other stupid change under the same act.

Maybe I should have said - I don't recognise Greater Manchester as a county. As a sub-administrative body it's useful I suppose. I don't recognise Cumbria as a county either - it's a historic region of land (the North West) of which we are part of - or any other stupid change under the same act.

Whether you recognise it or not, it does exist and a mayor is a good idea

OK, so where would you draw the boundary for a mayor? Would you not include the functional city?
I feel there are towns under Greater Manchester that don't fit the part such as the town of Wigan, but as you say, as a functional city, it's sensible to include areas that come under Wigan, like Leigh for example (though Leigh is only under Wigan because of the same 1970s act that changed boroughs). Like Wigan, I feel Bolton has it's own place within Lancashire as a completely different place to Manchester, but it is within that "satellite towns" region where it'd be important for commuters to have transport links managed from the city.

But let's not go off-topic into what we feel should be "Greater Manchester" - if we're to challenge the south for funding up here we need a bigger voice so a Mayor like London has will help us. I haven't sat down to look at what each candidate is offering yet to be honest.

This just 14 months ago... what do you think of burnham now? Curious

He's a slimy mascara wearing prick, I remember only too well his twitter rants about City last January, won't vote for him or the Tory, I'm struggling as I am with the general election, oh for a genuine third way.

He's a slimy mascara wearing prick, I remember only too well his twitter rants about City last January, won't vote for him or the Tory, I'm struggling as I am with the general election, oh for a genuine third way.

Haha. I can assure you as somebody who has met him fairly often that Andy does not wear mascara. What a bizarre thing to say.

Haha. I can assure you as somebody who has met him fairly often that Andy does not wear mascara. What a bizarre thing to say.

He sure looks like he does, google Andy Burnham mascara and plenty others mock him for that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.