GM Mayor Homelessness Fund

It's a worthy gesture but I'm sure I saw a very detailed post on here a while ago saying that the problem was self-inflicted in many ways in Manchester, due to the council/police failure to enforce regulations and by-laws.

Through work (a big office in central mcr) we have representation on a local panel where the, police, council, bussinesses etc meet regularly. The police and council consistantly state that giving to street beggers is a problem as many are not homeless they are alcoholics or drug addicts and they dont need much money to get drink or drugs. They always stress give to charity not directly to beggers. This is a good cause.

Will have to have a read into this when I get chance. I was thinking a modern workhouse type solution was best for when council measures fail since there has to be some form of deterrent to stop people getting comfortable relying on the system when they are fit and have the means to work.

Looks like he's took input from a lot of relevant groups so hopefully this is a sustainable, effective solution and not just throwing money at the issue until the money runs out.

I work for a housing association and he's been having quite a few meetings with the bigwigs at mine and other similar organisations about this prior to the vote.
My only experience of homelessness myself is a friend who was homeless after his missus kicked him out. Unfortunately he kept breaking promises to people he stayed with and wouldn't get to work to pay for anything so he used up all his goodwill. Ended up in a tent and then in a hostel. Finally the hostel seems to have turned him round.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.