Golf Thread

Such a tough sport even with everything in your favour. Been playing for five years and only now reached the stage where I feel capable of breaking the 100 consistently. Doing it is another matter. Only had 12 holes available on my course for most of the winter. Closed again today no surprise
Yep played yesterday at Ashton under Lyne, full 18, definitely drying out but still wet and boggy on most of the course. No rain yesterday, quite warm, woke up to a message on Clubv1 saying “course closed”, grand a year membership fee, working out at about £50 a round so far :-(

Which is your club?

Played a course out in Southport yesterday as the courses local to me are still shut or waterlogged - really challenging gales etc but it was really fun to play the elements.

Whilst I am still a complete novice, my scorecard of 107 wasn't too bad.

The two far better players I was with carded 103's.............
Keep going, sometimes it just clicks, I’m playing poorly at the moment, I’d normally go to our mini driving range to hit a bucket of balls with my 7 iron to get my swing going but it’s so boggy you end up digging out the buried balls from the turf, at my age it’s back breaking, hoping for better weather.

Yep played yesterday at Ashton under Lyne, full 18, definitely drying out but still wet and boggy on most of the course. No rain yesterday, quite warm, woke up to a message on Clubv1 saying “course closed”, grand a year membership fee, working out at about £50 a round so far :-(

Which is your club?
Macclesfield. Holes 11-17 are usually closed in the winter. They’ve actually done a lot of work to address the long standing drainage problems but hadn’t reckoned on such a wet winter and spring.

I read somewhere of clubs considering introducing 6 month memberships to cover summer and then being pay and play the rest of the year

Not allegedly with Faldo. He is an out and out Wanker.

Monty is one of the elitists. I’m sure his father is a past Captain at Troon

I left my last club due to the elitist bullshit. I’m all for the traditions and happy with golfing etiquette but some people are so far up their own arses it ruins it for the majority

As an ex head greenkeeper the only nice pro golfer I ever heard greenkeepers talk about was Severiano Ballesteros. He always took time out to chat with the greenkeepers as the other pros just ignored us. A really nice bloke always happy to give you his glove or hat etc.

I can confirm Faldo is a twat but to be honest most pros I've meet are lol

Macclesfield. Holes 11-17 are usually closed in the winter. They’ve actually done a lot of work to address the long standing drainage problems but hadn’t reckoned on such a wet winter and spring.

I read somewhere of clubs considering introducing 6 month memberships to cover summer and then being pay and play the rest of the year
Not played there, yep it’s been a shocker right from last July.

There’s 5 members at Ashton (who live local) moving to Stockport, think most of them are just doing a 5 weekday membership and I think I heard them saying it was £950 for 6 months summer membership but I could be wrong. One of them said it’s £1900 for full 7 day membership, they’re all retaining their Ashton membership’s as well, expensive hobby.

To be fair Macc is pretty cheap which is a good reflection of the availability of 18 in a normal year. Plenty of competition around.

I’ve just paid £565 for the year, Sunday to Friday. Not classed as full membership because I can’t enter the competitions which suits me.

For a high handicapper , like he obvious is, to get down from 100 to 85 a round your best bet is to cut out the three / 4 putts and getting up and down a few times.

For 10 handicappers to get down to a low handicap you need to improve on your length. This where I struggle. I am consistent and straight but struggle at Par 4s over 400 yards.

All depends on the golfer. I play off 9.8 nowadays and it’s pretty much entirely down to my short game that I’m not lower than that (was better when I was younger!). Agree that you do need length too though.

The two people I normally play with shoot around 100, when I watch them the main issues I see are fundamentals not being right (the grip in particular) causing a lot of inconsistency and the other big thing is course management. Im just playing with one of them this weekend and I’m going to caddy for him as I’ve said I reckon I can get him to break ninety just by making some better choices. Going to be interesting :)

To be fair Macc is pretty cheap which is a good reflection of the availability of 18 in a normal year. Plenty of competition around.

I’ve just paid £565 for the year, Sunday to Friday. Not classed as full membership because I can’t enter the competitions which suits me.
That’s very good, I’m Sunday - Friday member at Ashton, with my locker and trolley space (only have a 2 seater car!) it’s £985, I play in the occasional Tuesday comp but not the Sunday ones.

We have a group of around 30, we play Sundays, normally about 20- 24 play, we chuck a fiver in the pot and play a team game in Winter but once qualifying scores count we register the scores on England Golf to maintain handicaps, when this happens we play singles and a team game, it’s a good laugh and we have a belting bunch of lads.

All depends on the golfer. I play off 9.8 nowadays and it’s pretty much entirely down to my short game that I’m not lower than that (was better when I was younger!). Agree that you do need length too though.

The two people I normally play with shoot around 100, when I watch them the main issues I see are fundamentals not being right (the grip in particular) causing a lot of inconsistency and the other big thing is course management. Im just playing with one of them this weekend and I’m going to caddy for him as I’ve said I reckon I can get him to break ninety just by making some better choices. Going to be interesting :)
A departed golfer at our club had a saying about golfers:

“The older we get, the better we were”

I’m guilty of that, saying things like “I used to get to the 150 marker with my drive on this hole” and “in the past I could hit a 7 iron 150 yards” the latter is now a 19 degree rescue which usually lands anywhere other than on the green :-).

A departed golfer at our club had a saying about golfers:

“The older we get, the better we were”

I’m guilty of that, saying things like “I used to get to the 150 marker with my drive on this hole” and “in the past I could hit a 7 iron 150 yards” the latter is now a 19 degree rescue which usually lands anywhere other than on the green :-).

Ha! I’ve still got the distance I used to have (although I think that’s down to newer clubs and the ridiculous degrees they are nowadays!), just my short game has completely gone to pot. Going to try and spend some more time on it this year as I’m bordering on getting the yips with it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.