Guardiola fined £20,000 for wearing yellow ribbon (p140)

Highly doubt Mansour and his friends would be happy to keep this topic about UAE and human rights talk trough this yellow ribbon coming up regarding Man City news. No need for any negative press especially when City could be doing really well this season.

Lol!

I think you'll find in a mature democracy like Britain, you don't need the "right to free speech" we don't need a "first amendment". The right to free speech is implied. It's a given. Like oxygen.

Everyone has the right to free speech since Magna Carta, there is no need to have it written down because we don't have a written constitution of commandments / rules. Thank god.

We do have laws that prevent hate speech and speech that insights mass violence. So if you racially abuse someone, you will face consequences. If you insight a large group to insight mass violence, you can be prosecuted.

That doesn't make us less "free". You shouldn't be able to verbally abuse someone, just like you shouldn't have the right to physically abuse someone. What's the difference? Are you suggesting we're oppressed because we can't go out in to the street without screaming obscenities in people's faces and abuse them for being gay, black, a woman, or whatever, without facing any consequences? That's a right I don't want, thank you very much. If someone is racially abusive, I want them to be punished. I know that's probably different to how many American's think.

Now ask yourself this, would you prefer the right to racially abuse someone, or would you prefer the right to be protected from racial abuse? Similarly, would you prefer the right to be able to insight mass violence, or the right to be protected from people who insight mass violence? I know which I value more.

I think American's often make the mistake of thinking their constitution grants them rights that most other countries don't have. It's actually incorrect. The rights laid out in the US constitution are available to citizens of pretty much every mature democracy. Other than the right to have guns, which is a right none of us want, thank you very much. I'm absolutely delighted Britain doesn't have a formalised written constitution of rules like the US has. It's inflexible, it's out-dated, and ultimately it's dangerous.

That constitution is 300 years old and not fit for purpose in the modern world. It's why you have a school shooting every three days in 2018. It's impossible to change the law because so many people believe so fervently in a 300 year old document.

The law in the UK is constantly changing and it's adept at moving with the times. So after Dumblaine, gun laws can be changed quickly with no fervent defence by right wing zealots of a 300 year old document protecting firearm rights in perpetuity. Guns were probably needed 300 years ago in Britain. They're not any more. We've moved on. We've become more civilised as a society. We banned guns, no more school shootings. Very simple.

Gun laws will never be changed in the US, because there's this cult like obsession with the constitution which are adhered to like a sacred text. It's the same with "free speech" / the first amendment. It doesn't actually grant American's any more rights than we have in Britain. It just means you are more vulnerable to being on the end of hate speech / mass violence.

Lots of Americans thinks it makes them "free" being able to own a gun. But the reality is, it just makes your kids more vulnerable to be slaughtered at school. There's nothing "free" about that.

So to conclude, just because we don't have a formalised constitution set in stone, please don't make the mistake of thinking that means we don't have rights. There is no appetite for a formalised set of rules and constitution here. We don't want or need it.
Brilliant. I'm glad someone finally nailed him.

Highly doubt Mansour and his friends would be happy to keep this topic about UAE and human rights talk trough this yellow ribbon coming up regarding Man City news. No need for any negative press especially when City could be doing really well this season.
Was always going to be asked at a press conference. And the time was cup final day.

Yep. The Catalunya thing really isn't about money, it's about culture, language and self determination.
This mate... Castilian Madrid has stitched up any possibility of a proper devolution vote under constitutional legislation drawn up in the era of the Fascist (oops Falngist) dictator General Franco..so no chance of a devolution vote as in Scotland for their own future by Catalonia...all Spain gets to vote on this.. errrr ..what????

Also, free speech was the first amendment. An afterthought.

Ireland has a constitution that pretty much nobody knows of or cares about.

We aren't a mature democracy, but I'd say we've inherited a lot from the times of British Governance.

America's version of freedom of speech leads to family's masking hate as religion, hiding behind God to call soldiers, fags and generate revenue through hate
Our constitution doesn't cause problems as we're perfectly happy to amend it as needed.

Excellent response.
It was and I agree with nearly all @Shaelumstash has posted, apart from the Magna Carta precipitating unfettered free speech on this island. Something upon which I expect James Bainham and Thomas Cranmer would agree with me. It took several centuries for it to take any meaningful hold.

He’s absolutely right about the US Constitution being ossified and anachronistic, though. It will become that nation’s ultimate Achilles heel as it’s becoming increasingly unfit for purpose. I can see States seceding from the Union before the century is out as a result of the inflexibility of the US Constitution.

Might do them a world of good

It was and I agree with nearly all @Shaelumstash has posted, apart from the Magna Carta precipitating unfettered free speech on this island. Something I expect James Bainham and Thomas Cranmer would agree with me upon. It took several centuries for it to take any meaningful hold.

He’s absolutely right about the US Constitution being ossified and anachronistic, though. It will become that nation’s ultimate Achilles heel as it’s becoming increasingly unfit for purpose. I can see States seceding from the Union before the century is out as a result of the inflexibility of the US Constitution.
This...we have been sold a pup with the cosy aristocrat lie that this was the lynchpin of democracy....it took the English Civil War to really establish the rights of parliament vs so called ‘divine right’ of kings....and it took 200 more years of Chartist riots and The Suffragette movement to even begin a universal vote ...nothing was given...everything had to be dragged out of these bastards....the Catalans understand that...not so long ago it was illegal to speak Catalan or fly the Catalan flag in public...the only safe place was the Camp Nou...the FA can’t have their poppies and deny Pep..it’s the same cause...hypocrisy

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.