Happy Back Heel Day - 40 years ago (27/4)

Re: 40 years ago today

baildon blue said:
I was only 7 months old when this great day happened . Dennis Law should have celebrated a bit more than he did . Tueart was really happy when he was talking about it on the greatest derbies .

I can't say I noticed Denis's after goal behaviour.

The City fans in the scoreboard end all went berserk when the goal was scored and soon after all the real fun started. The players on the pitch were not the main entertainment from that point on.

Denis's non-celebration was only revealed on Match of the Day or ITV's Big Match. I can't remember which one.

bobbyowenquiff said:
They had to win to have any chance of staying up. We won so they went down. It's irrelevant that they would have gone anyway. We sent them down with a two-fingered salute. Came out of the scoreboard end and it was mayhem. But I couldn't stop laughing even when a rag thug spat in my face. To be honest it was the best day until 2012. I think I am one of those people who hates them as much as I love City. I am not ashamed of it.
"I couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd liiike"

Scoreboard paddock that day. I was 12, with me dad, uncle and granddad.
Law scores, a rag in the middle of the blues pulls out a bayonet and starts swinging it around screaming "kill the bastards"
just a few inches away from slicing my uncle's throat. We made a hasty retreat. Mayhem outside.

denislawsbackheel said:
The match was abandoned and awarded to City as a 2-0 win.
Can you imagine now? They'd shut you down for months.
Who got the second?

I had a ticket for the stretford end but managed to swap it for the untied road paddock.
After the goal I walked back to the bus wondering what happened to my mate Mick who was in with the rags alongside a very pissed up blue who kept upsetting the locals. They escaped, but my mate still isn't sure how.

Agree with 'bobbyowenquiff' ...Bless you. Never hated them more than possibly the present, & am now 62.
Why's that ...? I don't really know, but despite our recent success ...I do !
Regarding that 1974 derby, a few of us were brave ...but then had to scale the barrier into the Cantilever paddock

Landed on top of a group who included a mate, Howard Davis (hope yu'r reading pal) ...who for his age was one of the craziest hard City fans
I knew at that time. Ten or so of us just stood back to back and repelled any scum that came near us.
Walked to town, no-one bothered us.
More please.

East Level 2 said:
denislawsbackheel said:
The match was abandoned and awarded to City as a 2-0 win.
Can you imagine now? They'd shut you down for months.
Who got the second?

I had a ticket for the stretford end but managed to swap it for the untied road paddock.
After the goal I walked back to the bus wondering what happened to my mate Mick who was in with the rags alongside a very pissed up blue who kept upsetting the locals. They escaped, but my mate still isn't sure how.

I was in the stretford end also that day with my older brother. We stood right at the front next to the white picket fence they used to have. My dad somehow managed to get us tickets.
My brother was a bit of a hard boy and he really didn't give a fuck when that goal went in.
We still talk about that day now. Nobody came near us. Nobody. What a great day!

I've never been so scared at a football ground in my life as I was that day.

The curious thing is there was a real party atmosphere in the ground before the game started. It was a nice sunny day, the brass band was on the pitch, and the Stretford enders were twirling their scarves around above their heads, which was unusual at the time.

I don't remember much about the game until Law put the ball in the net, but when he did, all hell broke loose.

There were packs of marauding reds kicking the shit out of anyone they didn't like the look of, police horses were on the pitch trying to control things, Matt Busby was appealing for calm over the tannoy, and it just got worse after that.

I was standing in the corner where the away fans now sit, which was an old wooden stand in those days, and the men in front of me advised me to stand in the gulley between that corner and the main stand. They knew I was a City fan, but they said they would protect me. I was on my own and just 16 at the time.

I watched red after red getting their heads well and truly kicked in. I saw one guy get kicked and booted all the way down from the top of the stand to the bottom, all the while protesting he was a red, until he lay motionless at the bottom of the stand, and the pack that had assaulted him moved on to their next victim.

The fact they were wearing red and white scarves meant nothing to their assailants.

All the while this was going on around me, there was carnage on the pitch as well.

Happy back heel day?

Not if you were there, mate, and you know what the biggest pile of bullshit is?

That Denis Law relegated them.

United could have beaten us 10-0 that day, and they would still have gone down.

I have met many fans over the years who claim they were there, and I ask one simple question.

What did you do when City scored?

I have only met two people over the years I believe were there.

I was there in the old scoreboard end with most of the City fans- we were chanting "MU division two" a lot.....pretty tense and aggressive atmosphere- they invaded the pitch just before the start too

Blue Mist said:
This is a bit like York away, only a few thousand were there but now it is in the millions. Well I was at BOTH.

and this was absolutely brilliant. Sad rags running on the pitch trying to get the game abandoned Ha ha.
Thanks for reminding me.

Well I was definitely there,in the scoreboard end and watched the fuckers jumping over the Stretford End hoardings.At first we thought it was to get at us City fans,but it appeared to be the soft fuckers trying to get the game abandoned.It was eventually,but thankfully the score stood and it was a real pity that they only had one season in the old Division 2.

pre occupied with chumps league, it seems we forgot to celebrate a special day...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.