Happy birthday Mr Bell

A wonderful player & modest man.

If he'd not been crippled by that rag thug Colin could've played in a Cashmere overcoat till he was 40 & broken every record in football history.

Saw his debut & first goal away at Derby.......deflected in off his arse.

Beyond value today.

What a great name sir and indeed my all time favourite City player having watched him countless times.I`ve no idea as to what he would cost nowadays and what a superb piece of business Big Malc did,for what £35K was it ?
As you say a true gentleman whose talking was done on the pitch.

Love the story of Malcolm going to watch him play for Bury. As soon as he realised he was surrounded by lots of scouts with an interest in signing Bell he started slagging him off as loudly as he could. "Can't pick a pass", "Can't shoot", "Can't head the ball", whatever it was, Bell was rubbish at it....next thing you know, he's signed for City! Still the best player I've seen at City and I'm sure many on here, of a certain vintage, will recall making sure their football shirt was tucked in at the back and out at the front.

Love the story of Malcolm going to watch him play for Bury. As soon as he realised he was surrounded by lots of scouts with an interest in signing Bell he started slagging him off as loudly as he could. "Can't pick a pass", "Can't shoot", "Can't head the ball", whatever it was, Bell was rubbish at it....next thing you know, he's signed for City! Still the best player I've seen at City and I'm sure many on here, of a certain vintage, will recall making sure their football shirt was tucked in at the back and out at the front.
Yes I remember that story well and I thing it was Joe Mercer who said he himself didn`t think much of him at the time.Money well spent and a tragedy that his career was cut down whilst he was in his prime.

I remember his first goal when we got back to division 1. First home game was Liverpool, champions then, I think. Maine road packed with 63000, kippax heaving. Ball fell to Colin on edge of area, inside right position. Massive shouts of 'shoot'. In the net, no trouble. Roger Hunt missed a sitter, hit the post from 5 yards with only Dowd to beat. We won 2-1.

Of course, this could just be the foggy ramblings of an old fool.....unless you can confirm!

Yes I remember that story well and I thing it was Joe Mercer who said he himself didn`t think much of him at the time.Money well spent and a tragedy that his career was cut down whilst he was in his prime.

Absolutely, pity Joe also thought Gordon Banks wasn't worth paying 45,000 for.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.