Happy Birthday....the cash machine (ATM for you Americans)

malg

50 today. The first one was a Barclays Bank machine, which was operational on 27 June 1966 in it's Enfield Town branch. First user was Reg Varney!

One ripped me off In Spain last week, I requested 300 euros but refused the 296 gbp charge and pressed no and got my card back. The machine only charged me anyway and I'm now having to wait 7 to 10 days to see if I get my £296 back.

I used to be responsible for a UK wide 'fleet' of ATM's. fascinating job - one of the best I ever had. The objective is to get the best cash availability you can, and deal with the supply chain that goes into achieving that. Every day had a different challenge.

Heard this morning that the guy who invented/designed it only got something like $1 (US dollar) for each registered patent (which his employers owned). So, on top of his salary he got about $12 for it!

Feel old the comment about Reg Varny being a celebrity of the day rather than star of On the Buses hit home that most of the population wouldn't know who he was.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.