Happy The Queen is Dead Day

Best album ever made? Give me the Holy Bible by the Manics any day of the week over that. The lyrics are beautifully haunting and so well constructed that it dissects and covers more or less every aspect of how depraved humanity can be.

From prostitution to the holocaust, from suicide to anorexia and from political corruption to serial killers, there is nothing that isn't discussed in pure, honest detail with possibly the most gripping soundtrack I've ever heard. How James Dean Bradfield managed to string such a vast array of lyrics together in time still astonishes me. No matter how many times you listen to the album, no one will ever be able to sing it word for word.

Last edited:
Have a watch of this. Look at the energy of the band at it's peak.

Queen is dead Salford University 1986.

I was there! Still have the ticket!
Yes as said the day after the 10th Summer at GMEX.
This was indeed my best ever gig and also Johnny's and Mike's favourite gig.
Apparently the ceiling of the room below the concert hall was crumbling in and the concert hall couldn't be used for a while.

I was there! Still have the ticket!
Yes as said the day after the 10th Summer at GMEX.
This was indeed my best ever gig and also Johnny's and Mike's favourite gig.
Apparently the ceiling of the room below the concert hall was crumbling in and the concert hall couldn't be used for a while.

When you think how big they were by 1986 and were still playing University venues. Nowadays they would be filling the Etihad. Another way life has changed and concerts have become much more popular despite the ridiculous ticket prices. How much did you pay about £4 ?

This one looked a fun one to be at in the early days. I remember watching it on Whistle Test and it was how I got into the Smiths.

Some girls are bigger than others is the throwaway song at the end looking back on it but the rest is 9 songs of pure quality.... off to work on my bike in 10 minutes...... ipod at the ready....
Christ, you're kidding right? What Johnny Marr did on that track is simply staggering.

For me, the 'weaker' tracks on the album are Never Had No-one Ever and Vicar In A Tutu. They're good tracks, but not quite up to the astronomical standards of I Know It's Over, Cemetry Gates, There Is A Light That Never Goes Out etc...

P.S. Strangeways, Here We Come is the best Smiths album.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.