Has Manchester lost too many of it's old pubs in town

I ask because it has been anounced that the wheatsheaf just off tib st is to close down and turned into residential property.

Now this place may not have been everybodies cup of tea, but thats another old style boozer going in town.
Yes we have bars and a vibrant drinking scene all around parts of the city centre, but I can count 20, maybe, all the old boozers left that haven't been re-fit and modernized.

The abercrombe would be going if not for public defiance and the sailisbury amd grand central are still under threat.

I have recently been for weekends to York, Donny, Liverpool, Sheffiled and leeds amd all are still abundant with old pubs (some maybe a bit ropey mind) and just wondered do we appreciate this part of our heritage as a city , we know the council don't they will flatten any old building for a souless new build.

Pubs I can think of still old fashioned

Pevil
Brittons
Salisbury
City
Vine
Shambles
City arms
Castle
Gulivers (just)
sawyers
deansgate
white lion
hairy
angel
marble
burton
smithfield
crown n kettle
Shakey
Grey horse
Seven oaks
circus.
fringe
Abercrombe
Old monkey
Rising sun
paddys goose
Waldorf

Salford side we have a fair few too.

Places like the old nags head, ape and apple, spoons, the goose, town hall tav, the brunswick have all been or are pretty shitely turned out nowadays.

Also those tgat list is 20+ they are quite spread.out across the city, for example in liverpools georgian qrtr there is about 10 old boozers within streets of each other alongside new bars.

So do we do let our old boozers down or is that lost above a sign we hare keeping our hiatory safe?
Blame @worsleyweb

Reviving this thread as a general nostalgia discussion of the lost pubs of Manchester, especially in the city centre, which has hijacked the main forum media thread.
Your favourites in ‘town’, the best ones that have gone and the ones that are still about

Reviving this thread as a general nostalgia discussion of the lost pubs of Manchester, especially in the city centre, which has hijacked the main forum media thread.
Your favourites in ‘town’, the best ones that have gone and the ones that are still about
So is this where we post the media stuff ?

Salford used to have about 20 pubs around the precinct, now there's ...none.

Polars on Great Ancoats street was a favourite after work on a Friday afternoon. I'm either getting déjà vu or I've said this before on here...

I wanted to check the average pint price vs the average wage going back say 50 years by decade, but the internet's just a shitty bundle of advertisements now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.