Has this squad cycle run its course

Benarbia

Do we think maybe this squad has run its course. 2 leagues an fa cup and league cup but with us having the oldest squad in the league so we soon face a rebuilding task like utd???

Re: Have this squad cycle run its course

Gradual process which should have began with Yaya leaving last summer and Pogba coming in.

@BluePhil8 said:
Gradual process which should have began with Yaya leaving last summer and Pogba coming in.

^^^This.

If it has, it's down to attitude and motivation, as this squad is as still technically impressive as they were last year. I'm sure we will soon be waxing lyrical about our performances soon (in a positive way)

Don't think so myself.
A few players are not performing at the same level as last year. I think Fernandinho has not recovered psycologically from the World Cup where he was one of the main scapegoats for Brazil's debacle against the Germans.
Yaya has been unrecognisable so far.
Fernando is not yet up to speed.
Those three in midfield are at the source of our problem at present as they are not shielding our defence when we lose the ball.
They are all quality players suffering a dip in form. None of them are over the hill and as the saying goes, class is permanent.
Beat the rags on Sunday and all will be forgotten! ( I hope )

mosssideblue said:
If it has, it's down to attitude and motivation, as this squad is as still technically impressive as they were last year. I'm sure we will soon be waxing lyrical about our performances soon (in a positive way)

ALL SQUADS need freshness and changes from time to time. the rags always bought in players, sometime at the expense of the overall strength, just so that unmotivated players were moved on and the rest were more motivated. Look at Barca, Real and Bayern. Year after year they strengthen. Our core has remained the same for 3 years.

dobobobo said:
@BluePhil8 said:

^^^This.

Easy to say with hindsight but Yaya had just scored 23 goals in a season from midfield.....he was in the top 3 players in the premier league, he has been nominated for Ballon D'or.

He is 31 not 37.

Could you have imagined Chelsea selling Lampard when he was 31, United selling Scholes? Everyone would have thought they were absolutely barking mad.

Fans views on Yaya are being tainted by what happened in the summer but at that point we had no clue what he would be like this season and as far as I can recall I don't remember anyone making an offer for him! So what would you have done, flogged him for £10m to then spend it on the equivalent of a Rodwell?

Shall we be selling Kompany at the end of the season? And Zabaleta? They are getting on too.

Fernandinho cost us more than Yaya and has been absolute shite this season so far and yet we have to go easy on him because Germany hurt his feelings in the World Cup.

Too many people are laying all the blame at Yaya's feet when plenty of others are under performing.

bluechampion7891 said:
mosssideblue said:

ALL SQUADS need freshness and changes from time to time. the rags always bought in players, sometime at the expense of the overall strength, just so that unmotivated players were moved on and the rest were more motivated. Look at Barca, Real and Bayern. Year after year they strengthen. Our core has remained the same for 3 years.
The rags kept the same core for over a decade and it did them no harm!
Nothing wrong with stability. None of our players are in anyway over the hill.
No question FFP has affected us this season and prevented us from adding one or two exceptional individuals. Next year this should no longer be a problem and the squad will be strengthened.

I think it may have with a few of the players, but the likes of Silva and Zabaleta still have years to offer. It's Yaya, Clichy and Dzeko types I wonder about, players who have either deteriorated (Clichy), have a questionable attitude (Dzeko) or a mix of both (Yaya). Yaya was the conductor of our orchestra last season and without him doing that we're now a team without any rhythm.

To be the best, you simply can't tolerate failure and inconsistency. When Bayern have an off day (usually a draw rather than loss nowadays!), Pep goes mental and then they go on a 10 match winning run or something. Real Madrid lost back to back matches earlier this season, it wasn't tolerated and they have won 10 matches in a row since.

When City went on that unbelievable run last season in December and January, winning something like 15 matches and losing none, I thought that was the true evolution of Manchester City to one of the absolute elite. Because even in winning the title in 11/12 and (as it turned out later) 13/14, we'd almost let it slip through our own complacency, only to be allowed back into it. But in that December~January period last season, they played that way without special circumstances. We don't seem able to sustain that though and that should be considered unacceptable by such an ambitious club (as opposed to "Look where we were 10 years ago and stop complaining..."). And when you have polar opposite managers who face the same problems, you perhaps have to look at the players who are unable or unwilling to meet the demands of playing for an elite club.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.