Have you ever attended an ex teachers funeral ?

oakiecokie

Without doubt my favourite teacher way back in the early 1960`s was Colin Salisbury who took us for Religious Knowledge as it was known then.However he was also a superb after school teacher who just loved kicking a ball about and many a time I, along with another 10-12 of us,would arrive home from school after 6.00 pm.
PC in those days didn`t exist and Colin was quite a dab hand at throwing either pieces of chalk but more often a wooden chalk wiper would come hurtling towards you.
After I left school I regularly bumped into Colin who was always talking about his beloved Everton,but he also showed an interest in you as an individual.
Colin liked his ale and an avid horse race gambler.
Unfortunately his health took its toll and he died two weeks ago of cancer.This afternoon I have just arrived back from his funeral and there were a few ex school kids who are about my age and they all said the same ... what a character and someone you would always remember.
Any thoughts for you lads and lasses ? Have you ever attended an ex school teacher of yours because you respected them or you went because you always wanted to make sure they had left this earth for good.
Thanks Mr Salisbury for making my early secondary schooling more enjoyable.

My dad died in 2001. There were four ex-pupils at his funeral, probably 40 years after he taught them at Yew Tree High School.

My Mum died at Christmas 1999 and it was only a few years after she'd retired as deputy head of the prep at St Bede's. It was a bit of a shock at her funeral when a big chunk of the school turned out and three of the priests plus the parish priest turned up to officiate. Still not sure what to make of that as it would have been nice to be asked but then it was a great show of thanks to my Mum.
And I went to the funeral of my lovely old teacher from Stella Maris in Heaton Mersey. Mrs Ford started that school when Stockport Convent closed down and I was in a class of 11 up to going to secondary school, best start I could've had.

Yes I have. Mrs Scott from my primary school taught me when I was five. She was a most lovely woman, I sadly had to attend her funeral nearly a decade ago.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.