Heartbreaking moments as a City fan - when your favorite player leaves

My 2 fav at the time left on the same day, Gary Owen and Peter Barnes, heartbroken at the time. As it turns out a big mistake aswell
These two going was very disturbing back in the day. Everyone was like what the actual fuck are you doing? The definite down turn in the club’s history for sure started here.

Whilst not really leaving, watching Lake come out in a knee brace to kick off his testimonial was quite a dusty experience.

We didn't really get to see Silva leave due to covid and that would have be a tough one to be at, as he was my mum's favorite player.

For me, the hardest one was Zaba. It was the right time for him to leave, but he epitomised everything you'd want from a player. Never gave up, literally bled for the shirt and pushed himself to be better and better to keep his place. He could have fit in any era of our best or worst teams as you'd have never got anything but full commitment

SWP for me (moreso than anyone) absolutely gutted he left and then seeing him in the Chelsea kit - felt sick

Pab Zabs last appearance at our pad was for West Ham off the bench, he managed to be right in front of the SS at the final whistle from FB charging at Eddie....I'm sure it was just pure chance but, he knew where he wanted to be.

I've still not recovered from the emotional gut-punch of Shaun Wright-Phillips leaving in the summer of 2005. I know that £21m saved the club in the long run but I was 11 years old and fucking devastated.

I was down in London with my parents and we were staying at a hotel in Pimlico (I think). Obviously this was in the days before smartphones and 4G and whatnot, and the hotel we were staying in was a proper cheap one so we only had terrestrial TV in the rooms, so the best way to get news was to wait for the morning papers to arrive in the lobby. Picked up the Express and there it was on the back page, "Jose gets his man", or words to that effect.

My world stopped and the whole holiday was ruined. I wore my Wright-Phillips 29 shirt (the red and black one from the Keegan years) all day out of a misplaced sense of pride and even had a grown-up Chelsea fan laugh in my face about Shaun while walking round Madame Tussauds.

Finding out years later, when he was at QPR, that he'd never wanted to leave in the first place, was really upsetting. I'm glad a player of his quality has a couple of Premier League titles in his trophy cabinet, because my god he deserved them, but knowing he would have been happy staying with City throughout the Stuart Pearce years warmed my heart as much as it broke it.

In a way, though, in full hindsight, I'm glad he went to Chelsea when he did because it meant we got to see him again years later. If he'd stayed another year, which would have meant a full year in that Pearce team, he might have only gone to Spurs or Arsenal for £15-20m and actually been of some use to them. He might have stayed there longer and gone to QPR without ever coming back to City first.

I still vividly remember the day he came back. I'd just turned 14 and was staying on a campsite in Wales. I was sitting in the car waiting out a rain shower while my parents read the newspaper in our tent, passing the hours by flicking between Radio 1 and Radio 5Live. There had been rumblings about Shaun coming back but we were mostly cut off from the news, save for the car radio and a little village newsagents down the road that got precisely 20 copies of The Mirror and The Mail delivered and no more. If you got there past 8am they were gone and you had to wait another day for updates on anything going on in the world.

Then the 5Live bulletin came through mid-afternoon that Shaun was coming home. I opened the door and leapt out the car in a single motion and sprinted two full laps of the campsite screaming my head off. If you'd asked me that day how City were going to go on that season I'd have said we were on to win the league.

I have clearer memories of that day than the Sheikh's takeover. That's how much Shaun meant to me as a kid watching a shite City team one with one genuine diamond in it. Of all the players who were part of that 2011 team that won the FA Cup, I was happiest for Shaun. A real reminder of the (sporadic) good times from the pre-takeover "old City" years who deserved to play a part in the first era of the revival.

SWP
Tevez
Mario Balotelli
Gundogan

And randomly...
Daniel Van Buyten
(can't believe we were too skint to take him permanent)

And randomly...
Daniel Van Buyten
(can't believe we were too skint to take him permanent)
David Pizarro!

We had a £4m clause. I couldn’t believe we didn’t make it permanent. Ended up letting de Jong leave, missing out on Daniele de Rossi and signed Rodwell and Javi García for nearly £30m combined.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.