Hobbies for the middle aged man

Soaked a whole bunch of different beans last night. This morning sweated off the holy trinity, added garlic and some cajun seasoning. Threw a big hambone in with quite a bit of meat still on, added the beans, some home canned tomatoes, a bunch of some really spicy stock I made out of crawfish back in the summer, couple of bay leaves, water to cover. I'll let that cook for about 5-6 hrs then add some more diced ham, hot sausage meat and maybe some small shrimp.
I’ll book a flight mate, sounds fantastic

Write a book and publish it via Amazon.
Most people have at least one novel in them and they take ages to write. Or write about your experiences following City, or whatever.
I’ve done that - in fact a whole trilogy, all whilst working full-time.

I used to play football for years until I had to retire. I was gutted and for a few years felt like my "sporting life" was over. I ran to keep in shape but I missed the club and social side of a team.

Fast forward a few years and I started taking my son to karate and one day I thought "fuck it" and asked if I could join in. I was in reasonable shape but I don't think I ever sweated as much as I did in the first few lessons! It's a full body workout and great fun. The best bit is I've met loads of great people and gave found something I can do and also have the social side too. I definitely recommend it to keep fit. It's not about fighting either, it's like keep fit and graceful movement.

I also started yoga too and again met lots of great people! If you'd asked me 10 years ago I would have never have tried it but yoga and karate are great as you go at your own pace - and learn a lot about your body. I wish I'd done it years ago!

Also, have a look on the Open University website as they have loads of free courses. And you can easily teach yourself to learn how to program computers online for free.

Photography is easy to get started with too if you have a phone. You'd be surprised how far you can go with a camera phone!

Hope these ideas help and good luck!

I spend hours doing the following things:

Cooking - trying out loads of different recipes and perfecting them over time.

Creating playlists in a music app - I’ve got dozens of playlists and hundreds of hours of songs.

I’ve also created a list of history, geography and science documentaries, series and films. It’s in chronological order and had taken me years (about a decade to be honest), it’s probably thousands of hours worth of watching which I’m about to embark on watching from scratch in order for the first time.

Exercising! As a nation we need to do this far more frequently than we do, everyone should be active. There are lots of good ways to keep fit but I find the most interesting are going out hiking and cycling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.