Hours you work?

Around 70 hrs per week, inc travel over six days a week. Salaried position 37.5 hrs.

2012 - 2015
55+ hours a week plus the work phone always on = stressed and unhappy.

2016 -2017 35 hours a week, work phone turned off and lobbed in glove box until next day - effectively given myself a 10 grand a year pay cut = not stressed and far happier home life!

For ten years I commuted, leaving home approx. 6:30 a.m. and generally arriving back at 7:45 to 8:00 p.m. It was quite tiring, albeit only 5 days a week and not shift-working, so more fortunate than some.

Then I went self-employed for a number of years. Hours were variable, but often more sociable, particularly when able to work from home. The downside was that many projects involved living away from home a good deal of the time. A couple of times, it paid me to take out 6-month property lets, stay all week and travel home at weekends.

Nowadays I have it piss-easy, being semi-retired. I just work the equivalent of a couple of months a year, always either from home or on day commutes.

Were the sacrifices worth it? Materially, yes, but at some obvious cost to family life. Oh yes, and I had a mild heart attack before deciding to slow down!

Last edited:
For ten years I commuted, leaving home approx. 6:30 a.m. and generally arriving back at 7:45 to 8:00 p.m. It was quite tiring, albeit only 5 days a week and not shift-working, so more fortunate than some.

Then I went self-employed for a number of years. Hours were variable, but often more sociable, particularly when able to work from home. The downside was that many projects involved living away from home a good deal of the time. A couple of times, it paid me to take out 6-month property lets, stay all week and travel home at weekends.

Nowadays I have it piss-easy, being semi-retired. I just work the equivalent of a couple of months a year, always either from home or on day commutes.

Were the sacrifices worth it? Materially, yes, but at some obvious cost to family life. Oh yes, and I had a mild heart attack before deciding to slow down!

This is it. Back in the day you worked longer hours for more money but now you’re older you can look back and ask whether it was worth it.

You say materially yes, but at some cost to family life and your personal health (with you linking the mild heart attack).

If you could rewind the clock, would you do the same as you did so you can have the material luxuries or would you value the family time more than the extra money?

What do people think? Work your arse off to get as much £££ as you can or relax and earn enough to get by?

I’m applying for a job tomorrow that’s 4 on 4 off, 12 hour shifts.

Its less money but I’ll get loads more home life than I do at the minute.

You will appreciate the four days off.
You can really do things with four days.You can even do a mid week break abroad.
Go for it pal.

You will appreciate the four days off.
You can really do things with four days.You can even do a mid week break abroad.
Go for it pal.

I was chatting to my wife when I got home after a long shift yesterday and we think it’ll be miles better.

I haven’t been able to go for a midweek pint with a mate in over 6 years because I’m either away or have done a 13-15 hour shift and am simply too tired.

Lose about 6-7k in wages but I’m not arsed. I’ll make that back in modelling once I start the gym again and get rid of the overhang that’s developed since working the hours I do.

I was chatting to my wife when I got home after a long shift yesterday and we think it’ll be miles better.

I haven’t been able to go for a midweek pint with a mate in over 6 years because I’m either away or have done a 13-15 hour shift and am simply too tired.

Lose about 6-7k in wages but I’m not arsed. I’ll make that back in modelling once I start the gym again and get rid of the overhang that’s developed since working the hours I do.

I grit my teeth and do my weekend stuff.
But then it's my weekend and we come and go as we please.
I have not gone to bed but know full well I can make it to tonight without hinderance......military training....
Friday night 18.00 back on so happy days.

We can go to Benidorm and do for a few midweeker breaks.
Fly early doors monday morning and come back early afternoon friday

There is nothing you can do with 2 days off.....It's horenedous mate.
Dont worry about the money..look for other ways to cut back and you will be suprised once you evaluate how much we all piss away.
Our Amazon prime man for example will be bringing our kill for nowt today because we are savvy shoppers.
Look for ways to stretch your money without doing without.

You can pull back a fiver but you will never ever pull back a day of your life.
Once you have sold it to the boss man it's gone forever...
Your time should not be for sale.

Holidays and jollies should always be booked last minute.
Thomson are good for this by clicking on deals section.
We did Crete in May for 11 nights for £110.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not enough hours in the week for me personally, take this week for instance, meant to be rendering a bungalow, if either it rains or the sun comes out I'm fucked, no work, no pay, so I have to work as much as possible to allow for weeks like this week where il probably end up doing nothing, some weeks I can do 70+ easily but that's the sacrifice I have to make

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.