How far did you walk to school ?

Walked or ran about 2 km (yes I’m Dutch). Every schoolday.

Also had to walk 3 km to the club where I played my football. And shower there as well. Remember my 1st training as an 8 year old (in those days you had to be 8 to become a member). Got home dirty. My mum sent me back. I gave you a bag with soap and clothes to clean yourself there. Not here. Closed the door and left me no choice.

Haha! Seems absolutely mental looking back now that a 4 yr old me was allowed to walk to school under the protection of my 7 year old sister every day!! Was only about 15 mins but seemed a lot longer when you’ve only got little legs.

I know, i was talking about this yesterday with family, bearing in mind I'm under 30 so not that old, but when I was 7 or so I used to get the bus or tube on my own to shops, boxing gym, footy, friends houses or to my grandparents flat etc..

I can't even imagine a kid that young now being allowed to just roam around or go to these places alone.

I used to walk to school about that age or get the bus on my own, it would be about a 25 minute walk.

I get it though, people wanting to protect their kids, you'd never forgive yourself if something happened if you let them out alone and something happened. But I'm glad I was able to do what I did, definitely made me more aware and streetwise I imagine.

Then again, I did spend a lot of my childhood in London, and lived in a busy part of it. Of course there's lots of shady people about but on the other hand I think it was a bit safer for a young kid because there's so many people about that it's gonna be more difficult to nab a kid too. I think it's much worse for kids walking in less crowded places where the only people on the street could be a kid and an evil piece of scum.

Last edited:
It was only tuppence on public transport anywhere in Greater Manchester, so I never had to walk, unless one of Henshaw's Hells Angels taxed my bus fare home for their pension pots. Evil incarnate:

My walk to school was about a mile but i didn't always walk. My mum had a job waking me up and sometimes she'd come in my bedroom and put a cold wet sponge on my face to get me out of bed. If i was late she'd insist on giving me a lift on the back of her Honda 90 which i hated as some from my school would take the piss.
I only hope it was blue and white.

Right.. I used to get up in the morning at night at half-past-ten at night, half an hour before I went to bed, Eat a lump of freezing cold poison, work 28 hours a day at mill, and pay da mill owner to let us work there. And when I went home our dad used to murder us in cold blood, each night, and dance about on our graves, singing hallelujah.

Just over a mile, but all uphill, through Buile Hill Park, to Salford Grammar/ Buile Hill High, and then Pendleton College.
A great walk back down at the end of the day in dry weather!
Happy days!

Walked or ran about 2 km (yes I’m Dutch). Every schoolday.

Also had to walk 3 km to the club where I played my football. And shower there as well. Remember my 1st training as an 8 year old (in those days you had to be 8 to become a member). Got home dirty. My mum sent me back. I gave you a bag with soap and clothes to clean yourself there. Not here. Closed the door and left me no choice.
Jesus!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.