How far did you walk to school ?

I remember it being exactly a mile, used to run it so I could get an extra 10 minutes in bed

Young folk have it so easy nowadays.

Why back in the day, I had to walk 5 miles, one-way, uphill to school, barefoot, through snow covered mountains.
Not really, LOL. But that's the sort of tale you'd hear retold in popular media from folk born in 1920 or so, in the USA.

Junior school was a five minute walk down the hill. Then came the 11 plus and getting into the grammar school a mile or so away. Walked that too every day but it meant going past the secondary modern most of the lads from the juniors had gone to and having to put up with their taunts about going to the "posh" place, so I sometimes hid the school cap in my pocket to avoid being identified. Odd thing is the lads who could make my morning walk a bit of a rough one were all right again at the weekends, though somehow they never appreciated me bringing Latin homework on the coach to away games.

15 mins to junior/primary school. 10 mins to high school and college.

A doddle really.

I walked about half a mile,from my home on Langley to Durnford Street, loved it when it was foggy and got sent home early.
Used to walk from near the Jolly Carter on Oldham Rd to Hollin High, about 40 mins walk, got the bus in the morning and walked home. Them were the days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.