How far did you walk to school ?

Bill Walker

Team supported
City
Back in the 60's no fucker got a lift to school. Not like today. I had about a 2 mile walk to school and when it was pissing down (quite often) you just got wet. It's funny though I don't remember sitting in the classroom wet through, but we must've done.

I walked from Benchill to Newall Green upper school. I think it took me around 20-30 minutes, but it was some years ago now! I've just looked online and it says 1.3 miles. It seemed further and of course I had the walk back.

I walked about half a mile,from my home on Langley to Durnford Street, loved it when it was foggy and got sent home early.

About a mile, in all weathers, mainly down the railway tracks in Heywood to St Joseph's.
Couldn't do it now as that line is now used as part of the East Lancs railway to Ramsbottom via Bury.

2.4 miles round trip to primary school with my brother and sister. I remember we all got school issued reflective bibs for those dark winter mornings.

About a mile to infants and juniors, then about a mile in the other direction to the lower school of Senior school and finally about two miles to the upper school of Seniors.
Almost always walked it to the upper school, although I do remember one time in the third year, my friend, who was in the 5th year and I hopped on the bus and luck happened before the conductor had got to us, we jumped off at the fire station before it turned the corner onto Brownley Road. Sometimes in 1975, the 106 still used the open bus at the back. I was frightened to death in case we‘d got caught, I remember it vividly now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.