Ilkay Gundogan - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its hard to judge when he is surrounded by so many other 'under' performances. He had to constantly drop deep to get slow ball from Yaya, some of the distribution out of defence was poor. Phil is still inexperienced and i thought he took wrong positions off the ball at numerous times last night. He actually got in the way of runs a few times - he will learn though. in front of him Gabby looks incredibly ring rusty. So is it fair to expect him to dominate when a number of cogs in the machine are grinding? Put him in the first team and he invariably plays well and makes excellent contribution. I agree he is no KDB but should we expect him to be - at the moment he is being criticised because he falls short of Kev/Dave which is a little harsh as so would every other midfield player in the premier league.

Sorry not for me. I have never seen him have a stand out performance in a game, I can't imagine him doing so. Sure he looks better alongside Dave or Kev but who doesn't. Last night he had a chance to shine and simple didn't turn up I except that some of that was down to covering for Yaya. Just not good enough for us. As others have said he's tidy but imo that isn't enough on its own.

Sure he looks better alongside Dave or Kev but who doesn't.
Probably you or I mate. I think he is a good player and is great alongside either of them. He has had some very good performances such as Barca last season and Basel away this season. He will only get better as long as he stays injury free so I am more than happy with him.

Started off well against Basel last night, but faded badly. He's had some good games for us [e.g. Spurs (h), Chelsea h) ] , but he does blow hot and cold. He needs to become more consistent.

Sorry not for me. I have never seen him have a stand out performance in a game, I can't imagine him doing so. Sure he looks better alongside Dave or Kev but who doesn't. Last night he had a chance to shine and simple didn't turn up I except that some of that was down to covering for Yaya. Just not good enough for us. As others have said he's tidy but imo that isn't enough on its own.

You missed the first leg of this tie then?

As I have said before, only interested on his own terms. Played well in the away leg, against what is a very mediocre Basel side and then played well against Chelsea in a deep-lying position, against a team that didn't want to step foot in our half. Everything else has been average at best. If we have to wait for conditions to be in his favour, for us to get a good game out of him, we are probably looking at a max of 10 good games per season. Not anywhere near enough. He is up against two of the best CMs in the Prem for a position in the side and he is a million miles away from both.

He’s a defensive mid all day for me. Doesn’t suit playing further forward at all.

In defensive mid he finds space and demands the ball, further forward he hides and when he does get it doesn’t seem as composed.

One of the best performances I’ve ever seen by a player was his game for Dortmund against us. In defensive mid. Superb. Played really well on Sunday. In defensive mid. Superb.

Don’t think he’s played well once for us further forward yet.

He’s a defensive mid all day for me. Doesn’t suit playing further forward at all.

In defensive mid he finds space and demands the ball, further forward he hides and when he does get it doesn’t seem as composed.

One of the best performances I’ve ever seen by a player was his game for Dortmund against us. In defensive mid. Superb. Played really well on Sunday. In defensive mid. Superb.

Don’t think he’s played well once for us further forward yet.

You missed the first leg of this one too then?

Just doesn't do enough for me. Every now and then pops up with a goal and keeps things simple, but just doesn't influence the game enough for someone in that position, especially considering that he clearly has all the talent to do so. Maybe needs more confidence, but he passes the responsibility too much for my taste

You stick any of our midfielders with Toure and Foden against a good side like Basel, and there's going to be some problems at least

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.