Ilkay Gundogan - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is very good. Football hipster here :p

Hasn't had the impact one would expect yet. Injuries and not fully grasping the system yet might be factors.

I agree he also often gets ignored when he is in great positions. But elso makes a lot of poor decisions and is often either too cautious or inconsequential when in possession.

December was just a tough month. Many are incorrectly ascribing the drop in overall performance to him being more involved now. But I think the schedule congestion is more to blame..

Let's see how he does in the 2nd half. And Oh, it wasn't his Dortmund form that got some of us excited when he was scoring for fun before getting injured last season's.

He is done ok but If him and B Silva are staring games together try Gundogan on the wing where he has a bit more pace and B Silva central can be more creative plus he needs a run of games in his best position.

He is done ok but If him and B Silva are staring games together try Gundogan on the wing where he has a bit more pace and B Silva central can be more creative plus he needs a run of games in his best position.
Gundogan doesn't have wing Pace

Gundogan can’t replace Silva or De Bruyne because nobody can like for like, we’ve had the same discussions about Yaya for years and now it’s completely irrelevant because we play a system which doesn’t rely on Yaya’s abilities and gets the most out of other players.

Silva and De Bruyne have played in Guardiola’s system for 18 months and they’re both truly world class players, so is Gundogan potentially but he’s just different in terms of style and ability. He’s a better dribbler and will get more goals (I think), however he’s not got the consistency of killer instinct in terms of that final ball as De Bruyne or the game influence of Silva. It doesn’t mean he will be less effective, just different.

Gundogan can’t replace Silva or De Bruyne because nobody can like for like, we’ve had the same discussions about Yaya for years and now it’s completely irrelevant because we play a system which doesn’t rely on Yaya’s abilities and gets the most out of other players.

Silva and De Bruyne have played in Guardiola’s system for 18 months and they’re both truly world class players, so is Gundogan potentially but he’s just different in terms of style and ability. He’s a better dribbler and will get more goals (I think), however he’s not got the consistency of killer instinct in terms of that final ball as De Bruyne or the game influence of Silva. It doesn’t mean he will be less effective, just different.
This. When you are not busy hating on Yaya you are pretty informative :p

Anyone else think Gundog has a bit of the "Nasri" about him? 5 mins of brilliance then goes missing for 20 minutes when he hardly gets a touch and doesnt even look for the ball.
I also expected him to be demanding the ball a lot more, he seems to hide away from possession, which is odd as hes so comfortable with the ball when he does have it. I also wonder whether playing in the Silva/ De Bruyne role is really the best for him, I think hes better facing the opposition deeper rather than collecting the ball further up the pitch (sometimes with your back to goal). A deep lying playmaker if you will. However he cant play proper defensive midfield like Dinho as hes not defensively secure enough. Hed be better if we played two defensive lying midfielders, which we dont. Think hed be OK further up but needs to get involved more as he can run the game if he wanted to, but he does remind me of "europes hide and seek champion" Sami Nasri at times, just without the punchable face. (sorry Samir)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.