Ilkay Gundogan - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's his best position?

He seems too gifted on the ball and attack-minded to play in a similar position to Fernandinho. His style of play reminds me of Fabregas in his prime, but can we accommodate him in a side that will usually contain Sterling, Sane, D Silva and De Bruyne?

He seems too gifted on the ball and attack-minded to play in a similar position to Fernandinho. His style of play reminds me of Fabregas in his prime, but can we accommodate him in a side that will usually contain Sterling, Sane, D Silva and De Bruyne?

I think he'd be best where KDB has tended to play this season. A little deeper but with licence to get forward if the opportunity arises. He's not as good at Silva's role of keeping the ball moving and the momentum building forwards as he sometimes needs to think on the ball.

He's at his best close to the box, there he goes on his little dribbles and sets up 1-2's which cause havoc.

He should probably be given Silva's place in the side at some point, Merlin's nearly 32 he won't be able to play all the other games in December.

Did well when we were on the front foot. I'll reserve my judgement on him until he plays in the first team against a side that doesn't park the bus

The lad is just pure class, let’s just hope he gets himself back up to fitness soon because he’s clearly still well short of match fitness. You can kind of see him getting frustrated with himself at times as he’s just a half yard short and is still lacking that sharpness that makes or breaks his game. It’s like watching Silva in the season his ankle was really fucked, still absolutely brilliant but you’re just wanting that extra 5/10%.

I think his best position is DM.

I would agree in a way that he likes to sit a bit deeper and pass into the channels.
He also is able to make some clever steals.

But he definitely needs a defensive minded partner around him (not like Yaya today vs Shakhtar...).
The only one on a top level we have right now is Dinho.

Gundogan will never be able to replace Dinho. Not his position as a single DM. He doesn't have the guts nor the power.
He is great at creative passing into the final third. Especially when there is a bit of space.
But now most of the time we have to play tight defences.
Maybe he is a better fit in a counter attacking setup.

I am not convinced about his general attitude and maybe also his severe injuries have an influence on my concerns.
But he is a great footballer and able to shine within a very good team.

I would agree in a way that he likes to sit a bit deeper and pass into the channels.
He also is able to make some clever steals.

But he definitely needs a defensive minded partner around him (not like Yaya today vs Shakhtar...).
The only one on a top level we have right now is Dinho.

Gundogan will never be able to replace Dinho. Not his position as a single DM. He doesn't have the guts nor the power.
He is great at creative passing into the final third. Especially when there is a bit of space.
But now most of the time we have to play tight defences.
Maybe he is a better fit in a counter attacking setup.

I am not convinced about his general attitude and maybe also his severe injuries have an influence on my concerns.
But he is a great footballer and able to shine within a very good team.
At Dortmund he'd sit just ahead of Bender. He's the prototypical midfielder that Klopp loves; most of the centre midfielders he's signed for Red Everton are cheap imitations.

Gundogan is at his absolute best when teams attack with a high tempo. Think about Dortmund and their one touch football straight from midfield to penalty area under Klopp.

So as you say a big problem is the tight defences we're facing. Although it's worth noting that against Southampton he tried to start the pass and move attacks he's used to but only Aguero was on the same wavelength and his technique is lacking.

So that's why I said I'll reserve judgement because things haven't been adding up for him this season. When he plays for us against a side who played like Stoke then we'll see what he's about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.