India

journolud

I'll be going for a two week holiday to India in October, doing it the easy way on an arranged trip with all meals and accommodations, trips etc included in the price but we imagine we'll want to take some cash with us for if we go to local markets, coffee houses or whatever. Haven't a clue how much we might need though, what sort of costs things are there compared to here. Anybody got any experience they can share with us?

Been to Goa North and South and a few trips up to Mumbai. Holiday resorts have definitely caught on re their pricing. The days of a full session at a beach shack for a family of four with beer/food for a ten spot have long since gone.

Bid them aggressively for around a quarter of what they want and work up from there. And don't forget to factor in their brothers broken fishing nets which appear to constantly give under the strain.

Well if I remember you're not allowed to bring Rupees into or out of the country, so you'd be taking pounds or dollars and exchanging them there, which to be honest you'd be as well just using an ATM. That's what I did, no issues.

It's an extremely cheap country although if you go to Western style places you can spend a decent amount.

Well if I remember you're not allowed to bring Rupees into or out of the country, so you'd be taking pounds or dollars and exchanging them there, which to be honest you'd be as well just using an ATM. That's what I did, no issues.

It's an extremely cheap country although if you go to Western style places you can spend a decent amount.
Just googled that and you’re right. Quite surprising but good to know

I'll be going for a two week holiday to India in October, doing it the easy way on an arranged trip with all meals and accommodations, trips etc included in the price but we imagine we'll want to take some cash with us for if we go to local markets, coffee houses or whatever. Haven't a clue how much we might need though, what sort of costs things are there compared to here. Anybody got any experience they can share with us?
Take plenty of diarrhea and stomach pain meds....especially if you're going to "local coffee houses or whatever"

Drink only bottled water and make sure it's properly sealed before you drink it.

Take plenty of diarrhea and stomach pain meds....especially if you're going to "local coffee houses or whatever"

Drink only bottled water and make sure it's properly sealed before you drink it.
When you are at a cafe or restaurant make sure they give you any bottle unopened and check and open it yourself.

Dont drink water unless bottled
Don’t eat salad or anything washed in local water
Don’t swim, take baths or showers in local water
You’ll still end up with Delhi belly

Only been to Mumbai but powai lake and gateway to India are worth a trip. Not sure when you are going but I was there in March and stayed at the western powai lake hotel and the mumbai city fc squad were based there , decent to see them training and had a good chat with Des the manager, hotel was equivalent of a uk 4 star and no issue with the food or water.

I spent three months in India and Nepal in 1991, travelled all over and only got the shits once and that was in Nepal.
It was probably the best trip.Iv ever been on but not returned since alas.
Like other have said though,bottled water is a must.
good luck.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.