Interesting Financial Times article on transfer spending this summer

I wasn't talking about Mendy I was talking about Bernard.
I know that. You're trying to legitimise their algorithm. I just pointed a very basic flaw which kinda proves that they're are talking out of their arse. If whatever set of rules they used to study the impact of players fucked up this massively on a position where we had 0 players, I struggle to give credence to rest of their data.

So you are saying he's better than KDB or SIlva? They have his assessment right. "Adds depth and versatility to the squad."

In other words...as good as the others in midfield.
It's not about depth, we lacked press-resistant mids to implement positional play. Bernardo will be an indisputable starter.

Ignoring the other sides, it's probably about right with regards to us. Aside from the fullbacks (who are not going to magically transform us into a Champions League winning side), we haven't really strengthened the best 11 that we could put out. We've added plenty of quality in depth, but we are still lacking up top. I hope that the club secretly has a contingency plan if, for whatever reason, we can't sign Sanchez. Personally, to make us favourites for the title this year, I think we need to add Sanchez in addition to a quality striker that is reliable in front of goal. I don't see much chance of that happening though. More likely is that we'll squander £30m on Evans and another £20m or so on an additional left-back (when Danilo is more than capable of playing there).

For several years I believe that we had the best "first 11" in the league. It's questionable now whether that is the case and we may suffer for it in the big games. Before I receive a ton of abuse, let me state categorically that I'm not slandering our players, but merely stating that the teams around us have caught up in terms of the quality at their disposal. Liverpool look to have the most potent attacking force in the league. If they can get VVD across the line then they'll be extremely difficult to beat.

we haven't really strengthened the best 11 that we could put out.
Sorry mate, but this is patently untrue. Swapping four clapped out fullbacks for three of Europe's best is a genuine strengthening of our starting 11. We will ship fewer goals as a result and should have a better points total at the end of the season. That is not to say that we are a stronger team than our near competitors, just that we are certainly stronger than we were last year.

Sorry mate, but this is patently untrue. Swapping four clapped out fullbacks for three of Europe's best is a genuine strengthening of our starting 11. We will ship fewer goals as a result and should have a better points total at the end of the season. That is not to say that we are a stronger team than our near competitors, just that we are certainly stronger than we were last year.

The first part of the sentence that you quoted reads "Aside from the fullbacks". They are not going to transform us from a team that finished 3rd (15 points behind Chelsea) into genuine title contenders. The other teams haven't stood still either. Chelsea continue to improve their squad, as do Liverpool and the others. Our signings may help to close that gap slightly, but we certainly have not pulled out ahead of the fighting pack. Our early performances this season have highlighted significant deficiencies up front, which remain from last season.

Hard to argue with this.

This is stupid. Lukaku will give them 5.2 points more than Rashford over the season. Is this Back to the Future? Its football not equations and science.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.