Is our country divided forever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been pigeon holed by class colour religion sex and political persuasion, we're as divided as we could possibly be. Being divided we are easier to control with everyone fighting tooth and nail for their own little communities piece of the pie. All the while the victors (Politicians-establishment) take the spoils.
I understand how you feel it's a feeling of being disenfranchised and isolated by a myriad of people around you that have a different worldview stuck in the mindset that change is always good. The only advice that I can give you is that people in my experience are mostly good and kind it's the noisy minority that soil the blanket we all sleep in.

Ive just spent several weeks on holiday in the UK and noticed a lot of people not speaking English to each other.
My niece is a teacher in a school in Coventry, her class has 7 languages, she finds it very difficult to do her job, the English kids are outnumbered.
England has changed massively in the 30 years I've lived in Oz, its not for me to have an opinion on this as I don't live in England, I suppose change is more noticeable when you're an infrequent visitor.
Obviously with 48% voting for remain a lot of people are happy with the changes to the fabric of society within the UK .

Well you're a ray of fucking sunshine aren't you?
Ive just spent several weeks on holiday in the UK and noticed a lot of people not speaking English to each other.
My niece is a teacher in a school in Coventry, her class has 7 languages, she finds it very difficult to do her job, the English kids are outnumbered.
England has changed massively in the 30 years I've lived in Oz, its not for me to have an opinion on this as I don't live in England, I suppose change is more noticeable when you're an infrequent visitor.
Obviously with 48% voting for remain a lot of people are happy with the changes to the fabric of society within the UK .

Ironic to that its from within that 48% often the kind of attitude illustrated earlier in this thread when it was suggested "I should leave" if I dont like it, and told it was going to get worse for "my kind" shows itself. Just the kind of remarks that if made by myself or any other Brexit voter would be labelled as bigoted racist or xenophobic.

How seriously these should be taken is debatable when posters are incapable of answering simple questions either because they are not too bright or they might realise they have shown their true colours.

It's always been the same, the only difference is that you get to hear about it a lot more due to the all encompassing media. Also, the internet has given rise to hearing the views of people you genuinely wouldn't listen to in normal life - this place is a fine example. I try to steer clear of the political threads as we have some people right out on the edge of the political left and right (at the minute it's a very left leaning board) and in my normal day to day life I wouldn't give them the time of day, so it's best just to steer clear (apart from some wumming of course).

There have been plenty of political upheavals in the past. I'd say the strikes in the 70s were huge and the 3 day week, and certain food shortages, Maggie Thatcher in the early 80s was a tumultuous time as well - oh, and we invaded a country a few years back with no other reason other than two world leaders lied like bastards.

Ironic to that its from within that 48% often the kind of attitude illustrated earlier in this thread when it was suggested "I should leave" if I dont like it, and told it was going to get worse for "my kind" shows itself. Just the kind of remarks that if made by myself or any other Brexit voter would be labelled as bigoted racist or xenophobic.

How seriously these should be taken is debatable when posters are incapable of answering simple questions either because they are not too bright or they might realise they have shown their true colours.

Or maybe they don't feel the need to get into this with you.

In 3 posts you have said you despise people and called others either a cretin or not too bright.

Seems to me you after an argument. Carry on as I sure someone will oblige.

I think that sooner or later there has to be a debate on the moral value and social worth of targeted media.

In a very basic sense, it is very valuable. It means that you are fed stories that you are likely to enjoy, products you are likely to buy, the words of authority figures and celebrities you are likely to agree with, etc.

But when that goes too far you create echo chambers where people become uninformed, ignorant and eventually hostile towards people who don't agree with them. They don't understand the opposite viewpoint because the only chance they have to see it is the opinion of it from someone who opposes it.

I think that this combines extremely badly with a real lack of critical thinking in society today (especially among the youth). People see something someone has said and immediately take it at face value without stopping to consider it themselves. Recent examples (that I admit are biased towards my political persuasions - you'll find examples from the other side) include:
  • Every household will lose £4,300 in the event of the UK leaving the EU - is it really sensible to suggest that the possible drop in GDP will only affect households and not also corporations, and is it reasonable to assume that each household would lose out equally?
  • We can fund half of our manifesto by reversing the corporation tax rate cut - cutting the tax rate increased the tax take, so is it sensible to assume that reversing that cut will also drastically increase the tax take?
People are being fed stuff that they are likely to agree with and they are becoming increasingly incapable of questioning it.

You hear an awful lot about 'Division' in this country of late, I'm at a loss to understand what on earth it's supposed
to mean. It appears nowadays regularly, particularly given the recent referendums, elections etc; as people, now with
every opinion under the sun immediately available by social media, try to come to terms with diametrically opposing
views to those held by themselves. There has always been 'Division,' we all have differing political views, ideas, our
own way of sorting out the worlds problems, it's just that nowadays these are thrust at you 24/7, and like on here,
we're prompted to respond.
Accept the myriad complexities with a grin, just stand back and say fuck it, enjoy yourself, and try not to stress out
about what is unchangeable.

My family are already making arrangements for our 5 Grandchildren to leave the UK when they are old enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.