Is spending a fortune really the answer?

Apart from 2 to 3 games this season we have been the better team and played the better football! The reason we still above the scum is the referees ain't doing a good enough job of Shafting us . Its missed chances the reason we are not challenging for the title end off.

Missed chances dodgy refs and BAD defending in big games. 6 in two against Monaco, 5 in two against Chelsea, 4 in two against Spurs, 5 in 3 against arsenal, 5 in two against Everton and we were unable to keep a clean sheet against the Rags or dippers either.

Tm night we will most likely concede at least 1 possibly 2 which will make it very hard to win
when you factor in the likely influence of the ref.

So while missed chances have cost us the evidence is there for all to see unless we improve drastically at the back we will win fuck all again next year. Priority must be to spend heavily on defence and Defensive Midfield imo.

Missed chances dodgy refs and BAD defending in big games. 6 in two against Monaco, 5 in two against Chelsea, 4 in two against Spurs, 5 in 3 against arsenal, 5 in two against Everton and we were unable to keep a clean sheet against the Rags or dippers either.

Tm night we will most likely concede at least 1 possibly 2 which will make it very hard to win
when you factor in the likely influence of the ref.

So while missed chances have cost us the evidence is there for all to see unless we improve drastically at the back we will win fuck all again next year. Priority must be to spend heavily on defence and Defensive Midfield imo.
I tend to agree that we need to improve at the back (full backs for me the key), but we have actually only conceded 5 more goals than Chelsea. As the season has progressed i worry less about our goalkepper (i know) and our centre halves and question more and more if our midfield is really up to it. Not just our DM's but also our attacking MF's. Are Yaya, Fern, KDB, Sterling, Silva etc going to score enough goals to realistically win us the league? Based on this season the answer is no, so for me we need an attacking midefielder who will dominate games and score goals. God knows who that is other than the obvious choice Deli Alli who i dont think we have much chance of getting.

It depends on who is spending it. Let's just count ourselves lucky we didn't bring Txiki in at the beginning of Mansours takeover. He has been an unmitigated disaster with regard to transfers, and was more than likely kept on the promise of delivering the current manager. How that will unfold is far from certain despite what some predict.
How can anybody suggest that the spending last summer at least was a disaster?

Stones was expensive but has shown enough to suggest he will be a central feature of our defence moving forward. Jesus looks like he might be one of the best young talents on the planet. Sane has shown some sparkling form and seems to have a great future ahead of him.
So all three big money signings have been a success.

Ok Bravo and Nolito have been a disaster but only add up a bit over 20 million and Gundogen showed enough when fit to suggest he was worth the modest outlay. The relative failure this season apart from Bravo cannot be put down to a bad window last summer.

Now I fully agree a whole heap of shite was purchased in previous windows

I tend to agree that we need to improve at the back (full backs for me the key), but we have actually only conceded 5 more goals than Chelsea. As the season has progressed i worry less about our goalkepper (i know) and our centre halves and question more and more if our midfield is really up to it. Not just our DM's but also our attacking MF's. Are Yaya, Fern, KDB, Sterling, Silva etc going to score enough goals to realistically win us the league? Based on this season the answer is no, so for me we need an attacking midefielder who will dominate games and score goals. God knows who that is other than the obvious choice Deli Alli who i dont think we have much chance of getting.
I agree that we have generally defended well against lesser sides my point focused on the big games. Bye the way I forgot Barca 5 in two games although Mr. Bravo had a big say in that one.

Getting the right players that gel from the outset because they are more than good enough for the domestic and European level the owners and supporters want to us to be at.

If that costs us money then so be it.

I agree that we have generally defended well against lesser sides my point focused on the big games. Bye the way I forgot Barca 5 in two games although Mr. Bravo had a big say in that one.
Yes i get what you mean, teams who can get a shot on target ;)

We need a blended approach:
  • Buy some top-call players
  • Buy some hungry misfits that will want to achive things i.e Kompany, Tevez, Bellamy etc
  • Keep some of the experienced players like Kompany and Aguero
  • Use some of the youth team. this will give the first team some much needed energy on the pitch an opportunity to rest. It will also give the fans in the ground further reason to stay in the ground for the last 15 minutes, to see what the academy is made of!

if you want instant success then yes, i personally think we should use some players from the youth and build a good side like what spurs are doing but each to their own

It is or at least should be clear to anyone on here that the new signings under Pep (made either by Txiki or Pep or both together) are young talented players that needs developing under what I think is still one of the best managers around the globe to realize that. Stones, Gundogan, Sane and Jesus spring to mind. The likes of Nolito and Bravo were brought in for different reasons, the latter imho to fill the gap to get Angus Gunn ready and to show what sort of goalkeeper Pep wants to see in his team. For any discussions on Bravo, please not on here but on the Bravo-thread.

We also seem to agree that fullbacks is the main problem, despite the fact that I pity Navas not being played in the RB position sooner. And yes, that is hard on Zab, but even he knows he is unable to step up again as he has done several times in the past. Unfortunately. From the players on loan, I can't really think of a decent fullback that can step right in other than Maffeo. With a questionmark for him to make the grade. So we need to spend on probably two fullbacks at least, and normally a fullback isn't in the top category of transferfees.

Is spending a fortune the answer? You never know. You need to spend where you can't develop yourself or you are able to get someone better because of the arisen opportunity. Than again you don't know how the transfer will pan out. Stones can become the player that is worth his money twice, or we need to sell him for half what we paid. What we do need is to develop young players. The last part really needs to pay off shortly. As long as academyproducts come through, there is no need to put this question down tbf.

Pep would be in the semis of the CL, FA cup final and top of the league if not for referees

Despite having not a single full back, best defender injured, missing key midfielders and strikers for large stretches due to injury, suspension or yaya's agent

Despite playing an expansive, attacking style with a team unused to it.

Thst's why he is a great manager.
Erm. To evaluate what you said - despite playing an expansive, attacking style with a team not used to it.?.?.?. That's like saying "I bought a MacDonalds franchise and turned it into an IT house overnight and these guys are crap at IT - but boy, I am a great manager". A great manager resolves by evolution not revolution. Look at Conte - changed the formation to fit the team. Even Raneiri last year - look at the tactics at our place - the keeper intentionally boots it into touch near our goal line so they can pressure our defence. In other words - play to your strengths. I am not saying they are great managers but there is no point in playing a style your team can not cope with. Bring in the style gradually. In other words - keep the MacDonalds but open up an IT office in the back and gradually transfer operations to the more profitable approach. That is how great managers work in all other walks of life. Just changing overnight very rarely brings fruits of success

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.