It's time to buy a new TV

Specific to screen size we have in the past been limited by technology that allowed us to see pixels if we were too close or an inability to manufacture big screens that we should be viewing.
The following webpage indicates the ideal screen size for your viewing distance and/or resolution.
For 4K checkout the sizes towards the end of Beyond the Rules.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-big-a-tv-should-i-buy/

informative read mate.

My Panasonic Plasma is the best picture for the room (dark).
Every time I look at new t.v's, the Sharp always looks the best in the showroom but I would not buy one for obvious reasons.
My 60" Panasonic cost $1,000.00 Cdn, which is about 600 quid.

My Panasonic Plasma is the best picture for the room (dark).
Every time I look at new t.v's, the Sharp always looks the best in the showroom but I would not buy one for obvious reasons.
My 60" Panasonic cost $1,000.00 Cdn, which is about 600 quid.

The problem with looking at pictures in the showroom is the lighting used in the shop.

I doubt most people have the type and brightness level that showrooms need. Your living room probably uses a more subdued type of light and a different colour.
I know TV´s sometimes have settings for both (Shop and home) but the showroom settings are specific for selling the TV with that type of lighting so are an unreliable way to judge how a picture will look in your home.

A 20 incher Emotion for backing up in a bedroom would be a satisfactory choice.
The Emotion will be one of those tellys made for chain stores like the Matsui.
Anyone remember Matsui the Matsui brand name was used by Dixons and Currys.
According to a number of sources the Emotion points to a telly made in Slovakier and possibly a rebranded bottom end Sharp.
The Emotion was made for Tesco's and measuring up at 20 inch every little helps.

What recommendations are out there on 4k smart tv's you own or what smart tv's are you considering buying in the coming months.
IT is the bedroom tv good picture on it mind

Biggest tip i could give is use your tv correctly.

How many just switch it on and thats it regardless of what you are watching or feed?

Whats fantastic settings wise for movies/hd blu ray will be crap for watching the football/sports etc.

Spend an hour and set them all up correctly for your room conditions/lighting and then switch modes accordingly.

Plasma tellies were the very best of the best.
I have no idea why they fell in battle to their Lcd's counterparts ?
Possibly production costs.

Exactly that.

The best TV´s used to be Pioneer Plasma´s but they stopped production due to cost, then Panasonic did the same once they optimised the LED PQ capability to somewhere near plasma quality which has always been the way to get better blacks. The LCD relies on a backlight to either be blocked by a pixel (to give black) or allow light through whereas the plasma generates black within the pixel.
In the past manufacturing larger screen LCD´s was the biggest problem but that is not now an issue so LED LCD´s or OLED´s (which also generate their own black pixels) can compete at the bigger end of the TV screen size. Hence the demise of the magnificent plasmas.

Plasma tellies were the very best of the best.
I have no idea why they fell in battle to their Lcd's counterparts ?
Possibly production costs.

I researched t.v's for about a year before I bought this one. By the time I went to buy it they had stopped making the one I wanted. I ended up buying the same thing except it's the smart version.
I didn't need that at the time but I'm glad that I did now. The Plasma works great in my basement where it's pitch black at night and I sit about 20' away from the telly. Also, it doesn't matter where in the room you are, the picture doesn't become distorted.

Biggest tip i could give is use your tv correctly.

How many just switch it on and thats it regardless of what you are watching or feed?

Whats fantastic settings wise for movies/hd blu ray will be crap for watching the football/sports etc.

Spend an hour and set them all up correctly for your room conditions/lighting and then switch modes accordingly.

The problem with TV´s generally is that the original content whether blu ray, live outside broadcasts or any other type of transmission is standerdised to output with a specific colour of white as standard.
The TV manufacturers usually ignore this and set up their sets to suit the shop lighting at a much bluer white so that they sell.

Fortunately our eyes adjust so we get used to bluer whites but all the care taken by the makers of the original source is lost so we do not see it exactly correct to the directors wishes.

The problem with TV´s generally is that the original content whether blu ray, live outside broadcasts or any other type of transmission is standerdised to output with a specific colour of white as standard.
The TV manufacturers usually ignore this and set up their sets to suit the shop lighting at a much bluer white so that they sell.

Fortunately our eyes adjust so we get used to bluer whites but all the care taken by the makers of the original source is lost so we do not see it exactly correct to the directors wishes.

Thats why mate if you have invested in a top end set, spend the time and learn how to manually set every single aspect of the picture up.

I have a Sony Bravia W905 which cost me a small fortune a few years back but after spending a few hours on the net reading up from the experts, using tools like THX optimiser and then an hour configuring, the picture is a thing of beauty.

You have to do a little bit of work but if you can be arsed, you get a magnificent picture.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.