Javi Martinez

So is he Gareth Barry slow or Nolito slow or maybe last 6 months Demichelis slow? I need to know before I can complain how slow he is.

Ricky Holden slow...

He'd be a decent squad player, although I feel it's probably a risk management exercise if komps has a break down, although flexibility is needed so al for this....

I've not watched him play in so long, but as long as he hasn't forgotten how to play football in that time, he's still better than several of our options at DM, and can cover CB too. Could be a good, relatively cheap way to cover CB and DM considering everyone is telling us we're holding our big money for elsewhere.

I don't see anyone suggesting we sell David Silva because he's not fast...

For the fairly obvious reason that it's one of the most important attributes a player can have, particularly in the EPL. Pep doesn't seem averse to it does he?

Speed is important for attacking players especially on the counter attack but central defenders need attributes like anticipation, reading the game, tackling and strength to win 50/50's. Kompany isn't the quickest but he has superb anticipation. I've no doubt in this modern day Bobby Moore would be considered too slow but he was still a superb defender.

It becomes a far more important attribute though when you defend high up the pitch and are frequently shorthanded at the back. We had plenty of problems at the back last season with Otamendi and Kolarov getting left isolated by bigger, quicker forwards, and I can't see how signing Martinez would assist us in that regard. He makes Nolito look like Usain Bolt

The key is that his ball retention is excellent and he rarely misplaces a pass.... and we also won't play anywhere near as high next year, simply because we won't need to!

Speed is important for attacking players especially on the counter attack but central defenders need attributes like anticipation, reading the game, tackling and strength to win 50/50's. Kompany isn't the quickest but he has superb anticipation. I've no doubt in this modern day Bobby Moore would be considered too slow but he was still a superb defender.
Correct

I've not watched him play in so long, but as long as he hasn't forgotten how to play football in that time, he's still better than several of our options at DM, and can cover CB too. Could be a good, relatively cheap way to cover CB and DM considering everyone is telling us we're holding our big money for elsewhere.

I don't see anyone suggesting we sell David Silva because he's not fast...

Is he not? Sell him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.