Joe Corrigan

Remember Joe getting booked at Derby .the pitch was crap and a lot of the markings were covered in mud .they got a penalty and as the penalty spot had disapered Joe paced out where it should be and promptly got booked .game was delayed while a groundsman got some white stuff and made a new penalty spot

Still lost 4 zip I think

Back in the 1969/70 season me and my mate hitch-hiked to Bilbao and watched a 3-3 draw, after being 3-1 down.He had a poor game that night and we managed to find a couple of City lads who were staying at the same hotel as the City Players and we actually slept on the floor of their bedroom until the morning.
Some old guy had a dig at Joe telling him he was a wanker that night.Bang !! A big right hand went into this old guys face and his eye came up like a fucking balloon.
All hell let lose after that,with the Hotel Management,Big Mal,Uncle Joe Mercer,the guys family trying to get everyone calm.
He was a very lucky guy was Big Joe that night.Had the old guy pressed charges Joe would have had the book thrown at him.Joe Mercer like always was the person who had his arm around the old guy and probably saved the day.
That same night we saw Ian Bowyer running bollock ginger naked,pissed out of mind,around the bedroom corridors.
Ah the good old days.

Awesome keeper big Joe, a true City legend, never forget that save he made against Leeds in the cup in the late 70's point blank header from Alan Clarke, went the wrong way but adjusted mid air and stopped it... Stepney got save of the season though for a tip over the bar...... That agenda thing has been going a lot longer than you think :-)

Remember thinking the same at the time. Stepneys tip over the bar from a 25 yard shot and big Joe's world class save

Back in the 1969/70 season me and my mate hitch-hiked to Bilbao and watched a 3-3 draw, after being 3-1 down.He had a poor game that night and we managed to find a couple of City lads who were staying at the same hotel as the City Players and we actually slept on the floor of their bedroom until the morning.
Some old guy had a dig at Joe telling him he was a wanker that night.Bang !! A big right hand went into this old guys face and his eye came up like a fucking balloon.
All hell let lose after that,with the Hotel Management,Big Mal,Uncle Joe Mercer,the guys family trying to get everyone calm.
He was a very lucky guy was Big Joe that night.Had the old guy pressed charges Joe would have had the book thrown at him.Joe Mercer like always was the person who had his arm around the old guy and probably saved the day.
That same night we saw Ian Bowyer running bollock ginger naked,pissed out of mind,around the bedroom corridors.
Ah the good old days.

Haha. Yes. Don't know if true but I heard a couple of incidents in the same era involving Tony Coleman were covered up too.

I remember him as being brave as a lion.

Think he chose Chairman Mao in the I Admire thing they had in the programme, late 70s.

Here's one from the memory bank. Me and r kid were in the Junior blues, and when big Joe came back to play against for Brighton in 83/84 and some of us JB's held a letter up before the game that spelt Welcome home big Joe (or somet very similar) anyway, it was ace for me because I was 10, but r kid was 14/15 and he was at that awkward age and clearly didn't want to be there. It was like Rodneys groovy gang moment in OFAH. Great days. Can't really remember much about it, but I remember shitting myself when he shook my hand..he was a fucking giant !! :-O Absolute fucking legend!!!

Last edited:
He goes in one of the missus's pubs The Brocklehurst in Macc most afternoon/early eves when home, as he lives 'just around the corner' from it. Met him in there, he was a hero of mine as a teen .... really chatty and nice guy ... Well informed on the club and his love for it shines through.

And he gave us tix for the Barca home game this season ... :D

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.