John Stones - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know that, unfortunately there just isn't a defender in there.

He's had all last year and cost us enough points with errors, and tbh I expected more this year. To see him make the mistakes last night was heartbreaking. He isn't up to it. Best case, he'll be a bench player.
:-)

p.s. sorry TS, couldnt resist.

Last edited:
Stones form for both City and England has been imperious of late. He is now adding goals to his game and that supposedly mammoth fee we paid for him is now looking like a good deal.

I think you are correct.

He has turned the corner now & takes responsibility as a defender, & his defending will most likely get better & better.

Edit: can we all leave out the Beckenbauer stuff, he just isn't.

Stones is a defender who is decent on the ball, Beckebauer was Pep Guardiola playing deeper, the will never be any chance of Stones being anywhere near him in that regard, but he is already a better cb.

What I like about Stones is he's far more aggressive in 1v1 situations. He used to bsck off his man rather than challenge him. He's maturing into a real leader at the back.

What I like about Stones is he's far more aggressive in 1v1 situations. He used to bsck off his man rather than challenge him. He's maturing into a real leader at the back.

When we talk about the 'problem' of Vincent Kompany, I don't think it's a coincidence that after a few months of him being seriously involved with the first team, both Stones & Otamendi became miles better in their decision making of when to commit to tackles/interceptions & also at talking/organising.

At the moment, VK will once again be mostly concerned with his own fitness & career, but when it does come to an end, I think he could, if used, have a big influence as a member of the coaching team.

When we talk about the 'problem' of Vincent Kompany, I don't think it's a coincidence that after a few months of him being seriously involved with the first team, both Stones & Otamendi became miles better in their decision making of when to commit to tackles/interceptions & also at talking/organising.

At the moment, VK will once again be mostly concerned with his own fitness & career, but when it does come to an end, I think he could, if used, have a big influence as a member of the coaching team.

I assume Vinnie is one of the guys, like Zabba, that the club will do all they can to help in their post playing career. In the near term, I'm sure he has and will continue to have a positive influence on John Stones. I'm not one of Ota's detractors but I would love to see how Vinnie and Stones get on over a decent series of games together.

I assume Vinnie is one of the guys, like Zabba, that the club will do all they can to help in their post playing career. In the near term, I'm sure he has and will continue to have a positive influence on John Stones. I'm not one of Ota's detractors but I would love to see how Vinnie and Stones get on over a decent series of games together.

Me too but I have no desire to see it happen at present as I'm perfectly happy with the way Stones & Otamendi have performed for most of this season.

We do however need a 3rd (&4th) cb, so I would like to see Vinny fit, soon as possible & partnering Stones or Otamendi in the lesser games, to get him up to speed. The only obvious thing which would likely derail us for any length of time, is an injury to one of the cbs.

So good of England to give him a rest over the International Break and not make him play 180 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.