John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
but it concerns the club that i love. when i feel the club is being mugged off am not exactly going to be chuffed about it

But the club obviously doesn't feel like it's being mugged off otherwise we would have walked away just like we did with Pogba.

but it concerns the club that i love. when i feel the club is being mugged off am not exactly going to be chuffed about it

So forget anything before this window. Newcastle have put a £35m fee on Sissoke, Deeney bid of £30m turned down, £15m for Ibe, £60m for 29 yr old Payet. What price would you say is fair in the current market?

Yeah his value hasn't changed. £40 million is only what Chelsea were prepared to pay, Everton valued him at more than that and refused to sell him. City are prepared to pay £50 million and that is what Everton value him at so the deal is hopefully getting done soon.

His value HAS changed. Every player's value has changed due to the new tv deal. Chumps league money also increasing. How much did Leicester (apparently) bid for Troy Deeney? Supposedly around 30m - I mean seriously - Troy Deeney?

Honest question. Who would you like to see as our CB's this season?

I'm reasonably happy with what we have - I want to see Otamendi and Managala after some good defensive coaching. I wouldn't be as bothered about paying loads for Bonucci as he's world-class. I'd also be far happier getting Lucas Hernandez for 30m and using the 20m towards other targets. I still can't believe people are trying to justify breaking the world transfer record for a defender for Stones.

If we have a 11 who all work together to retrieve the ball that will have a far bigger impact than asking a promising prospect to become the next John Terry and the silver bullet for all our defensive woes.

What would you do then? Keep the money in the bank like Arsenal?
i honestly would rather not spend 50 million on john stones than spend it. i admit i have no idea what the future holds, but this just smacks of the sterling transfer. vastly overpaying on a very young english player where there are far better and cheaper alternatives elsewhere

I'm reasonably happy with what we have - I want to see Otamendi and Managala after some good defensive coaching. I wouldn't be as bothered about paying loads for Bonucci as he's world-class. I'd also be far happier getting Lucas Hernandez for 30m and using the 20m towards other targets. I still can't believe people are trying to justify breaking the world transfer record for a defender for Stones.

If we have a 11 who all work together to retrieve the ball that will have a far bigger impact than asking a promising prospect to become the next John Terry and the silver bullet for all our defensive woes.

Fair enough. I agree with having to work together and you can teach defenders certain things like how to be aware of their position, but the one thing I think you can't teach to someone is how to be good on the ball. That's why I don't think someone like Mangala would do. I may be wrong. Pep knows how he wants each position to be played and he'll find the player with the right attributes for that position. To me one of the hardest things to find is a defender to play the way Pep wants to play. There are only a few out there and some of them aren't realistically attainable. Stones is available and has attributes of playing the ball with his feet as well as decent speed and anticipation. His height also helps. Pep will know what his weakness are and can teach him. Stones will make mistakes as did all of Pep's CB's, but to make the team as a whole better from the back going forward I think he'll be worth it.

Last edited:
Hope we don't just throw him in at the deep end.

I realise I'm repeating myself but why break the transfer record on someone who couldn't handle that. Ferdinand broke the transfer record twice as a young CB - the difference was at West Ham and Leeds he was clearly a different class and the rock/captain of both teams.

i honestly would rather not spend 50 million on john stones than spend it. i admit i have no idea what the future holds, but this just smacks of the sterling transfer. vastly overpaying on a very young english player where there are far better and cheaper alternatives elsewhere
You are conveniently ignoring the fact that we need more home grown players.So tell us which home grown players in Stones position are better.It speaks volumes when you hear that the likes of the Rags,Chelsea and Barca were all looking at him.We pay that bit more and bingo,he`s ours.Thats how transfers work.Ignore what happened with Sterling.Sometimes shit happens.Not this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.