Jose Mourinho | Sacked by Roma (p34)

He used to get a lot of out of players by getting in their heads, power plays and creating a siege mentality in his teams.

I genuinely don’t believe that works anymore with the power and money players have at the top clubs.

Would love to see what he could do at a real underdog side. A championship club or relegation threatened prem team.

No doubt he was a very good manager back in the day but really his heyday was 15 years+ ago.
Personally I have never thought he was a good manager. Way, way too defence-minded, and seems to want to make everything about himself all the time. His football is dull and one-dimensional: one tactic fits all games, it seems.
He never stays at one club for long, and when he goes he inevitably leaves behind him a palpable air of 'thank-fuck-he's-gone' at the club.

I hope no Premier League club gives him a job (well, except for a couple) and we never have to watch his 3rd rate hoofball ever again.

Way, way too defence-minded,

Not entirely true. His Madrid team was very high scoring. His Chelsea team scored plenty too.

His Madrid team still holds the record for goals in a La Liga season.

Its a bit daft to say he was never a good manager, look what he won in different countries. You don't win competitions and leagues being THAT defensive like some think he was, you've still got to get the goals

Would love to see what he could do at a real underdog side. A championship club or relegation threatened prem team.

People say that about Pep too though.

I think Pep is the best manager there has been but the reality is that we've never seen him manage a club that pretty much wasn't the best in the country anyway. But the trick is improving from that already high standard, which he does. Most fail at doing that, which is why very few managers succeed at big clubs.

It takes a very different skill set to manage a top club to a bottom club, not better or worse, just different. and the money does matter to build the team that you want for your system and style of play when the resources are different you have to approach football differently.

Pep couldn't play his style of football managing Sunderland with their resources. You would see a much more pragmatic approach if he did and maybe park the bus at times. You've gotta do what you've gotta do and work with what's available to you.

Some managers excel at survival and getting the most out of very little and maybe they would do a better job than Pep in that situation. It's just different skills and experience. And on the flipside, they could never manage a team full of superstars thar respect you and your footballing brain 100%.

We don't even need to talk extremes. Do you think Pep could win the league with Brighton?

People say that about Pep too though.

I think Pep is the best manager there has been but the reality is that we've never seen him manage a club that pretty much wasn't the best in the country anyway. But the trick is improving from that already high standard, which he does. Most fail at doing that, which is why very few managers succeed at big clubs.

It takes a very different skill set to manage a top club to a bottom club, not better or worse, just different. and the money does matter to build the team that you want for your system and style of play when the resources are different you have to approach football differently.

Pep couldn't play his style of football managing Sunderland with their resources. You would see a much more pragmatic approach if he did and maybe park the bus at times. You've gotta do what you've gotta do and work with what's available to you.

Some managers excel at survival and getting the most out of very little and maybe they would do a better job than Pep in that situation. It's just different skills and experience. And on the flipside, they could never manage a team full of superstars thar respect you and your footballing brain 100%.
All I meant is that I think Mourinho would get more (relatively speaking) out of a team without modern superstars, something I see that he struggles with these days.

There’s a lot of hunger in lower league players.

I think Pep would do well too with a smaller club, just in a different way.

All I meant is that I think Mourinho would get more (relatively speaking) out of a team without modern superstars, something I see that he struggles with these days.

There’s a lot of hunger in lower league players.

I think Pep would do well too with a smaller club, just in a different way.

Well I think Mourinho did ok at Roma considering they are not really Serie A contenders these days.

He got them some European trophy and then the UEFA cup final which I think realistically is about as good as it was going to get with the squad he has, it was unlikely they were winning Serie A without serious investment in their team.

He still knows how to navigate through tournaments, as he did with the rags winning then a couple of things available to them at the time.

So I wouldn't say he's entirely washed up, I just don't think any real title contenders these days wanting real stability at their club would want him.

I'd say the last team he was at that had a truly realistic chance of winning the league at the time of managing then was Chelsea, which he did win, then it went sour as usual.

That's why I'm not sure his actual ability to win things has really declined. I think it's more than instability he can bring is not appealing to the very best clubs today. So then you're pretty much left with managing teams like Roma that are not realistically going to win the league right now.

Not entirely true. His Madrid team was very high scoring. His Chelsea team scored plenty too.

His Madrid team still holds the record for goals in a La Liga season.

Its a bit daft to say he was never a good manager, look what he won in different countries. You don't win competitions and leagues being THAT defensive like some think he was, you've still got to get the goals
Yep. It’s nonsense.

The guy built his teams how he did, and it worked. That’s the beauty of football, there’s no right way to play it.

That Inter Milan team were something, too.

You don’t mananage over 1100 games and lose less than 200 if you’re shite.

Anyone who brands Mourinho a fraud or overrated knows nothing about football.

However, his career has been on a downward spiral for years as his management style is very old now. He hasn’t adapted.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.