Kalvin Phillips | On loan at West Ham

I hope things change for him this season. So far, however, this transfer is up there with the likes of Rodwell and Sinclair for bad buys.

How can winning the treble as a squad player be worse than Rodwell and Sinclair signings
Phillips got a bad injury, Well in fact we signed him having trouble with the shoulder and he popped it again, So we had to have it pinned and worked and got back into the World Cup squad and back up for Rodri and Gundogan

I can't figure this one out at all. He's clearly not a bad player, he's shown enough at Leeds and for England to suggest he can play quite a bit. I just think that if you can't get a game at Sheff United away then when will he? I'm not saying Rodri needs a rest, but he can't be expected to play every single game.

I hope Phillips steps up, but in all honesty I can't see him playing for City. There's more to it than meets the eye and it's more than just football. If he's not playing regularly by Christmas then he needs to go in January, full stop.
If there is 'more to it', surely news would have already emerged in the form of rumours regarding attitude problems, dressing room unrest, indiscipline etc. Aside from the one issue concerning his fitness following the world cup, all we know is that he's fully committed to the club. Regardless, Pep doesn't appear to trust him. Perhaps it's attributable to nothing other than a consistent failure to impress in training in which case City need to accept we signed a dud and move the lad on for his sake and ours. Either way, it's baffling.

If there is 'more to it', surely news would have already emerged in the form of rumours regarding attitude problems, dressing room unrest, indiscipline etc. Aside from the one issue concerning his fitness following the world cup, all we know is that he's fully committed to the club. Regardless, Pep doesn't appear to trust him. Perhaps it's attributable to nothing other than a consistent failure to impress in training in which case City need to accept we signed a dud and move the lad on for his sake and ours. Either way, it's baffling.
Is it that baffling ? Would agree with you Pep has decided he is not able to do what we need him to and would gladly get rid but Phillips has a contract worth c£40m for his remaining 5 years and is happy to see it out as no other club would give him anywhere near that. Don't think the message could be any clearer from the management team he ain't getting picked ahead of Rodri and is too limited to sit alongside him. Think we would have to pay him a sizable sum to offload him so not gonna happen, he will sit on the bench and make occasional appearances and perhaps go on loan until we are happy to take the hit in our books.

He seems like a happy go lucky guy whenever we see him. He's making good money and hasn't lost his place in the England squad yet.. winning trophies. It's seems like a perfect situation for him if he doesn't mind not playing much which seems to be the case. John Stones fought back from the abyss to become a City regular so it's possible Kalvin is just really betting on himself while enjoying everything else that comes with being a City player.

He would have added nothing v Sheffield United. That was a game for attacking players.

I think we'll see him in games later in the season where is suits his strenghts (long quarterback passing). I wouldn't be worried if that wasn't for another dozen games.
I think this is kind of my point, he should be capable of holding himself against Sheff United. It's not like Rodri is KdB, he just plays it simple most of the time and Phillips should be able to do that.

If we can't trust him v Sheff United, and he will never be ahead of Rodri in the big games then other than in Cup games he just won't play. Are we best of selling him now? I can't think of any scenario where he's going to play really

I think this is kind of my point, he should be capable of holding himself against Sheff United. It's not like Rodri is KdB, he just plays it simple most of the time and Phillips should be able to do that.

If we can't trust him v Sheff United, and he will never be ahead of Rodri in the big games then other than in Cup games he just won't play. Are we best of selling him now? I can't think of any scenario where he's going to play really
I think he could of played as a holding midfielder in thar game easily but why would we bother doing that when we didn't need a holding midfielder. Maybe if we had played with 3 at the back it'd have made sense?

It was nothing to do with Phillips' ability... other than the fact that both Kovacic and Rodri are better in the attacking third than he is.

How can winning the treble as a squad player be worse than Rodwell and Sinclair signings
Phillips got a bad injury, Well in fact we signed him having trouble with the shoulder and he popped it again, So we had to have it pinned and worked and got back into the World Cup squad and back up for Rodri and Gundogan
Come on mate...I want the guy to do well in Blue just as much as the next guy....but there is no way you can spin this transfer as anything as a disaster so far.

He's hardly played any meaningful mintues in 12+ months of wages being paid...and got publicly called out by Pep on his weight.
It's possible that he is a great locker room presence, and is immense to go against for starting eleven during training...but that it truly the only way he would be contributing as of now.
I hope it gets figured out for him, but it is looking less and less likely to be with City.

He seems like a happy go lucky guy whenever we see him. He's making good money and hasn't lost his place in the England squad yet.. winning trophies. It's seems like a perfect situation for him if he doesn't mind not playing much which seems to be the case. John Stones fought back from the abyss to become a City regular so it's possible Kalvin is just really betting on himself while enjoying everything else that comes with being a City player.

Stones was a regular starter before he had his dodgy period where he had a torrid time with injuries and issues in his personal life.

It looked like he had one foot out the door, but that's not because he wasn't good enough - he had shown a world class level already and won multiple titles with Pep at that point.

There isn't a comparison in this squad to the situation that Phillips has found himself in - Rodri, Grealish, Stones, Ake etc all had difficult bedding in periods, but they all still got their chances and when they had shaky performances, Pep persisted with them.

Phillips has just been in the abyss from the outset. His case isn't like any before him. I think the fundamental problem is that Pep simply doesn't rate him, but Phillips simply is happy sitting tight as you say.

Completely detriment to his career at this stage in my opinion and if he does stay beyond this window, will be gone on loan in January after his situation won't have changed (bar a truly terrible injury crisis) and his place in the England squad is under threat (I think it probably already is).

Unfortunately the pressure is going to continue to build for him with each game he doesn't get a look in - this isn't a situation where he doesn't play and fans forget about him. We're seeing Rodri being run into the ground and our £45m back up sit on the bench smiling week after week despite not getting a minute of football. His omission is going to be a major talking point every game and if he does get an opportunity and doesn't peform, the reaction will be tribal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.