Key Bridge, Baltimore, has collapsed.

I'm not joking about this. I can honestly see Trump making some statement about 'infrastructure' or that 'it would never have happened on his watch'.

I'll be more surprised if he doesn't try to make some sort of political statement off the back of it.

You're probably right

But if we're being honest, it wouldn't just apply to Trump, its politics in general. You can rarely have a major incident, disaster or anything of the kind without it being politicised and used against the opposition. That's happened all over the world throughout history.

I mean the Democrats and voters used the whole BLM and George Floyd thing as a stick to beat "Trump's America" with during elections , completely disregarding that the organisation started during Obama's presidency because of similar things happening.

It's just how it always is. I'm sure Trump will pipe up and have a dig, he cant help himself, but that behaviour isn't exclusive to him in politics is it?

But anyway, that's all for another conversation.

The footage shows lights go off and black smoke coming from the top. Then it goes toward the pillar. It could have lost all power and steering locked to the right? That’s how it looks from that small clip.
Turning a vessel that size is an event in itself. Even brief disruption to the steering mechanisms could have a huge impact on the heading.

Given the ship appears to be on the City side of the water, going through a fairly narrow channel (between the 2 bridge piers), you'd think the ship would be under the control of a pilot, most big ships are under pilot control in harbours. Looking at google earth, the container port appears to be on the northeast side of the port, which puts the ship hitting that bit seem a bit strange.

Apparently there was two pilots on board.

Some "experts" on the news claim the ship lost power, then the power returned too late and they weren't able to get it back on course.

This seems fairly logical, not that I'm in any way clued up on the topic, but it does seem to tie in with people's first observations about the lights being off then on.
Just sounds like a terrible accident due to a failure that resulted the shipping hitting the worst spot possible.

Will all of the remaining bridge need to be dismantled, or can some be salvaged?

Maybe they’ll want a stronger, more modern structure to replace it anyway.

Without sounding too morbid, surely it's just a recovery mission now for anyone who did go in the water? It's been about 7 hours since it happened, where would anyone be that's survivable for so long?

Apparently there was two pilots on board.

Some "experts" on the news claim the ship lost power, then the power returned too late and they weren't able to get it back on course.

This seems fairly logical, not that I'm in any way clued up on the topic, but it does seem to tie in with people's first observations about the lights being off then on.
Just sounds like a terrible accident due to a failure that resulted the shipping hitting the worst spot possible.
Almost all accidents are preventable.

There is nearly always a human factor. If a ships system has had a catastrophic failure, it is likely to be either a maintenance issue or a manufacturing defect that someone will be culpable for.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.