Lifestyle & retirement

It's hard to say, all comes down to what your company offer. At the moment mine pay 9% but it really can vary wildly.
I'll ask the woman who does wages etc.
If I keep paying as I am now ill have a pension pot of 185k at 60 year old.
So not that bad.
If I can have 10 years paying an extra 12k a year should boost it quite a bit

Worked till I was 71 as I liked it so much (teacher) and might even have gone longer. Thought retirement would allow for going around the world but the missus's health this past year has limited what we can do. Everyone's wise the morning after!

Brain tumour focused my mind on retiring. Exceptionally healthy and sporty all my life, then 3 yrs ago the diagnosis. Operation was successful, but just goes to show - you never know.
Semi - retired now - loving it and appreciating it.
I had a cardiac arrest several weeks ago.

St. John Ambulance performed cpr at the scene (Saved my life)….and I spent a couple of days in hospital for various scans and blood work but they found nothing.

Im currently under the cardiologist with Bupa and in the process of having several tests (prolonged ECG, Echocardiogram, heart CT).

Nobody can tell me why it happened and im in really good shape physically. Work out 4 days a week, slim, moderate lifestyle etc.

Bottom line is you never know what could, or might happen….

Oh and donate to SJA…they are fucking amazing people !

I'm 70 and only just retired, but it was my own business, so a bit different, and the last few years I have only been working reduced hours. I am in decent health, so hope to go a good while yet.

A good mate of mine (and Bill Walkers) just dropped dead last year aged 69, and he was as fit as a fiddle, so you don't know what's around the corner.

Look after yourselves and stop eating shit that clog your arteries up.

I had a cardiac arrest several weeks ago.

St. John Ambulance performed cpr at the scene (Saved my life)….and I spent a couple of days in hospital for various scans and blood work but they found nothing.

Im currently under the cardiologist with Bupa and in the process of having several tests (prolonged ECG, Echocardiogram, heart CT).

Nobody can tell me why it happened and im in really good shape physically. Work out 4 days a week, slim, moderate lifestyle etc.

Bottom line is you never know what could, or might happen….

Oh and donate to SJA…they are fucking amazing people !
BUPA is fine until you make a claim and then the subscription the following year goes through the roof. I self fund now. My Mrs was at the Alex this morning and she has been quoted £1350 to have a very small none cancerous mole removed from her neck in a 15 minute procedure where the mole is literally sliced off under local anaesthetic. It’s a piss take.

I retired at 55, 2 years earlier than planned. My job required an annual medical. Having had a kidney stone removed in 2012, I then needed a 2 year scan to see of there were any more. No stones found, but there was a tumour sitting in my right kidney that was symptomless. The whole kidney was removed within 3 weeks but according to the surgeon, if not found would have killed me within months! I went back to work for a year, but a tiny tumour in my bladder and I decided it was time to retire.

If you can afford to go early-do it!

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.