Low opinion of the average contractor reinforced by personal experience

From an Architects perspective:
-Get as many quotes as you can.
-Try and specify exactly what you want - materials, installations etc.
- Never accept the cheapest quote.
-Never pay more than 20% or the cost of materials up front. And then thats when they arrive on site.
-One word. RETENTION
You may still end up grabbing your ankles. Not entirely necessary to engage an Architect/Engineer to supervise, additional expense but they may add quality control on workmanship an material selection.

I had 2 bathrooms done last year...posh bastards, sure.

I used one of those trade reference sites and had people come round so I could see them face to face. The bloke who did the first one was shite and he was word of mouth and had done stuff for my mum. Liverpool fan, that should have been enough.

The second job was a bigger room and he came via the trade site. Stunning job, absolutely spot on. I reckon it's a bit of a lottery but I would use the trade site again.

Aren't there websites nowadays where they can get reviewed? Pick someone off there with good feedback.

I had 2 bathrooms done last year...posh bastards, sure.

I used one of those trade reference sites and had people come round so I could see them face to face. The bloke who did the first one was shite and he was word of mouth and had done stuff for my mum. Liverpool fan, that should have been enough.

The second job was a bigger room and he came via the trade site. Stunning job, absolutely spot on. I reckon it's a bit of a lottery but I would use the trade site again.

Last year I needed a garden fence replacing and a patio lifting and re laying
I advertised the jobs on "rated people" and both were completed to a good quality, on time and for the price quoted
In the future, if I need any work doing on my house I will always advertise the job on there first

I had my drive done and a new boiler. Marshalls brick thingies and a Worcester Bosch boiler. Took the name of both contractors from the official list of approved contractors of both companies. Problem free. Or it might be that I got two good 'uns. Strange point is that neither of them had the slightest interest in football!

From an Architects perspective:
-Get as many quotes as you can.
-Try and specify exactly what you want - materials, installations etc.
- Never accept the cheapest quote.
-Never pay more than 20% or the cost of materials up front. And then thats when they arrive on site.
-One word. RETENTION
You may still end up grabbing your ankles. Not entirely necessary to engage an Architect/Engineer to supervise, additional expense but they may add quality control on workmanship an material selection.

Wastes too many peoples time - 4 or 5 quotes maximum. The only way to get competative quotes is to give everyone the same information and specification. Easy to compare and then decide. Agree with you that the lowest quote isn't always the one to take.

Funny - or not so funny - thing is that both contractors are well known in the small town where I live and from what I learn both have a reasonable - though not stunning - reputation. The first one my complaint is about the standard of work - bloody lethal - the second is the piss poor customer service - they fitted the boiler and left it all nice and tidy and it works fine. What grates on me is the inability to do a decent job and give good customer service that just evades smaller local firms. I'll probably get my head bitten off now but I have to say although they are pricey most people I have related this tale to do say British Gas cover both quality og job and customer service angles well. You gets what you pays for?

Sue him a Small Claims Court and if he still doesn`t pay then contact The Sheriffs Office and they`ll track the fucker down and get your money.I think it only costs you £70 for their services and you should get that back from the scrote also.Not a piss take mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.