Maine Road,

The Met makes getting to the match very easy. The journey back isn’t always...
I always leave at full time so trying to get the tram then is just hanging about for the queue to die down. Quicker to walk into town. The obvious solution would be to put extra carriages on.

I wonder what the new tourists would have made of Maine Road? Pmsl

Great memories include for number of years a season ticket in main stand as a kid (very privileged not, just a city mad family!). Pre match included sliding through a gap next to the second set of stairs to find an air brick with an expelair unsed fan. This gave me a view into the small indoor Astro area where the team played head tennis to warm up. Pretty neat considering I was around 10 years old. Couldn’t fit through gap now.

Quick question, what year was the North Stand 'modernised' i.e made into a concrete shithole but at least it had a roof ?

Loved Maine Road, used to sit on white wall as a kid, then moved to standing on Kippax with my mates as I got older, then got Season Ticket in North Stand, and then had privelage of playing in what I think was the last game at Maine Road representing City vs the Scum in the Budweiser cup

I always felt that they should have taken the seats out of platt lane to give us a proper end, the atmosphere with the kippax noise as well would have been remarkable, I went In the north stand for years but it never felt it was City

Standing on the Kippax must have been some experience. Before my time. I had a season ticket in DD lower for one season but missed out on terracing altogether.

thought it only had a roof and seats added?

As in the roof on first seats added later ? My poor memory is telling me that the vocal part of the Kipax was there because it had a roof and you could stand, the Platt Lane was seated so that was a no no and the Scoreboard end/North Stand was standing but no roof. We were the only top flight team not to have a home end for that reason but in 19** they all shifted into the North Stand despite the lack of roof, a year later Swales built the North Stand and the vocal lads moved back. Perhaps I am wrong, I was 16 (about) at the time.

I stood or should I say sat on a crash barrier for the ECWC semi v Chelsea it was about my 4/5 game I think this was the first game it was open?

I don't remember a roof on it at that time and seem to remember it was unfinished at ground level as well.

The seats would have gone in around 1974 or so.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.