Manchester City Centre

walking through picaddily gardens the other day. there were so many homeless people, in every doorway or sleeping on benches. a lot of them were completely out of it. the city centre is getting worse for it and you can see people openly selling drugs ( has always happened) in picaddily gardens in the middle of the day. the centre has turned into such a shithole.
I walked from Piccadilly down past the arndale to shambles square yesterday and couldn't believe how bad it was. So many people just lead on the floor utterly wasted on something, groups of people larey as anything who looked off their heads, it was a very unpleasant place. Topped of with Elvis singing and darth Vader playing the piano.

A lot of them are "professional beggars". Its funny that when i go in early for work i hardly see any, as soon as it hits 7am they all come out. They make the doorways look as if they've been sleeping rough all night then wait for the rush hour foot fall.
These people need arresting because it takes money and help away from the genuine homeless people on the streets.

A lot of experts on this thread.

One even encouraging vigilantes. He must have loved those Purge films.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...chester-city-centre-12870520#ICID=FB-MEN-main

This is a very interesting read about the current spice problems.

Thanks Jake for the link. Also, it's a bit worrying that there seems to be an explosion in the number of homeless and the Spice Epidemic since the devolution of 6 billion of health funding to Greater Manchester. The timing may well be coincidental but there was always a risk with giving the Councils a lot more funding.

Thanks Jake for the link. Also, it's a bit worrying that there seems to be an explosion in the number of homeless and the Spice Epidemic since the devolution of 6 billion of health funding to Greater Manchester. The timing may well be coincidental but there was always a risk with giving the Councils a lot more funding.
in the last 6 years mental health services has lost 7000 psychiatric nurses and one third of all there in-patient beds, there is currently a brand new 80 bed psychiatric unit (Grafton unit) at the MRI sat empty because they don't have the funds to run it, this has not just happened it has been starved of funding ever since the Tory's have been in power
if you're looking for someone to blame I'd start by looking at the cuts to mental health services by the Tory's.

in the last 6 years mental health services has lost 7000 psychiatric nurses and one third of all there in-patient beds, there is currently a brand new 80 bed psychiatric unit (Grafton unit) at the MRI sat empty because they don't have the funds to run it, this has not just happened it has been starved of funding ever since the Tory's have been in power
if you're looking for someone to blame I'd start by looking at the cuts to mental health services by the Tory's.

I''m not t really looking for somebody to blame. It's just been noticeable how many extra homeless people there has been in the centre of Manchester in the last 12 months. Problems will have built up over time like you say but more could have been done in the last year when problems have become very visible.

It's not just the Government that wastes money in the NHS. I know of a local Manchester Trust who hands big contracts to the private sector without going to tender. Thus depriving their Community of the chance of achieving better value for money and avoiding damaging cuts to services.

There is certainly a shortage of nurses in much of the NHS and Mental Health has seen a lack of investment. However, If a big new ward has been built that can't be opened then the issues will be more than just increasing funding. There's clearly been poor planning.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.