Manchester Tart

urban genie

What is it?

I ask as when I went to school in the early 80's our dinner ladies used to put on proper cornflake pie and call it manchester tart.

anyway I went through till the age of 31 never having seen this custard nonsense until I went to work in a local college and was asked to put it on, so I made a beautiful shortcrust base and spead it with jam and topped it with syrup coated cornflakes, when one of the catering assistant belows out, "wheres the bananas and custard?"

so for 28 years of my life I thought Manchester tart was cornflake pie, and I know others who thought the same (all from east manchester way).

Anyway still baffles me as cornflake pie is better than this banana/custard/coconut ensemble and only came into my head as it is on the menu of the pub I am in.

So anyone else

1) Had different versions when at school

2) what was tge other wierd and wonderful school deserts ypu got?

We used to also get green mint custard

The future Mr Bluegirl74 (aka Marcus Wareing) adds a layer of caramelised banana between the jam and the custard of his Manchester Tart.

Well he's clearly a cretin. Don't arse about with perfection

Mans from southport what do you expect?

Still manchester tart is bobbins pastry/jam/banana/cold custard and coconut.

ridiculous, still glad I was brought up with me thinking cornflake pie was it.

Bunch of ponses. Bloody bananas and coconut. Pastry, jam with cold set custard. My favourite pudding on school dinners.

Bunch of ponses. Bloody bananas and coconut. Pastry, jam with cold set custard. My favourite pudding on school dinners.
Here here, up until a couple of years ago it was on the menu in the works canteen, then the yank owners took control and down hill from them on

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.