Manchester to Houston, Travelling alone.

I just couldn't pull the trigger to go down to Houston for that match. Its a 10 hour drive to Houston from where I live, so not that bad. But when I started putting all the figures together, it was just more than i wanted to spend to watch a meaningless match in a city that I dislike quite a lot (just too damn big) in what will likely be at least 105 degrees (40.5 C). The biggest kicker was having to take 3 days vacation to make it happen. I'd much rather use those three days and fly to Manchester during the season. Would cost me about $700 more for a long weekend if I plan properly. I'm still kicking around the idea of going to Nashville on July 29. I could take one day of vacation, it is only 8 hours of driving, usually better weather, etc.

Notes for people going to Houston. There are some amazing places to eat. I've been there a few times and the best part is the food. Between Texas BBQ (Killen's), Mexican food (Hugos), traditional steakhouses (B&Bs), along with anything else you might want. As stated before, it is going to be hot. Really freaking hot. And it doesn't get a lot better when the sun goes down. The asphalt and concrete stay hot for hours and hours and there is no reprieve. Make sure you have shoes that can handle the heat. My wife tried to get by with flip-flops one time and they literally melted when she put her feet down on the asphalt one afternoon. That is a rough deal. It is hot, but go with some thicker soled sneakers. Lots of hydration and don't forget to sleep a bit extra if you can. The heat really takes it out of you. If you aren't used to it, you can sweat a quart and a half an hour in that heat. That's a lot that you need to replenish. Wear a lightweight hat. You don't want to trap the heat to your head, but do want the cover for your head and face. My wife (a ginger) can't stay out in it for more than 10-15 minutes without sunscreen and even then the heat gets her very quickly. I'm much more resilient because I'm darker complected than her and I train in heat (ran several miles last night in 102 degree heat index). So know yourself, try to stay in air conditioning as much as possible, and have fun.

I just couldn't pull the trigger to go down to Houston for that match. Its a 10 hour drive to Houston from where I live, so not that bad. But when I started putting all the figures together, it was just more than i wanted to spend to watch a meaningless match in a city that I dislike quite a lot (just too damn big) in what will likely be at least 105 degrees (40.5 C). The biggest kicker was having to take 3 days vacation to make it happen. I'd much rather use those three days and fly to Manchester during the season. Would cost me about $700 more for a long weekend if I plan properly. I'm still kicking around the idea of going to Nashville on July 29. I could take one day of vacation, it is only 8 hours of driving, usually better weather, etc.

Notes for people going to Houston. There are some amazing places to eat. I've been there a few times and the best part is the food. Between Texas BBQ (Killen's), Mexican food (Hugos), traditional steakhouses (B&Bs), along with anything else you might want. As stated before, it is going to be hot. Really freaking hot. And it doesn't get a lot better when the sun goes down. The asphalt and concrete stay hot for hours and hours and there is no reprieve. Make sure you have shoes that can handle the heat. My wife tried to get by with flip-flops one time and they literally melted when she put her feet down on the asphalt one afternoon. That is a rough deal. It is hot, but go with some thicker soled sneakers. Lots of hydration and don't forget to sleep a bit extra if you can. The heat really takes it out of you. If you aren't used to it, you can sweat a quart and a half an hour in that heat. That's a lot that you need to replenish. Wear a lightweight hat. You don't want to trap the heat to your head, but do want the cover for your head and face. My wife (a ginger) can't stay out in it for more than 10-15 minutes without sunscreen and even then the heat gets her very quickly. I'm much more resilient because I'm darker complected than her and I train in heat (ran several miles last night in 102 degree heat index). So know yourself, try to stay in air conditioning as much as possible, and have fun.
Hopefully might see you during next season then

The galleria (mall ) was a perfect place to spend time. It had an ice rink in it i seem to remember.I coached for a month or so in Houston in August. Yes it is very hot with a thunderstorm many afternoons. If you are going from Manc put your best accent on for the ladeees.
San Antonio is a place to go if you get the chance.
best murder rate in usa I was told.

Did you buy one of those cheap tickets from that travel agents on Deansgate? I saw a queue 50 people long one morning coming home from work. I wondered what they were all doing there at 6.00 am in the morning. I felt like joining myself to sell on but was told the tickets were non transferable. Are NASA sending a rocket somewhere? Why Houston on your own?
Hi mate, i bought all the tickets, flights etc myself online. good question, mid life crisis maybe! i had 9 days hols owing and wanted to use them for something intresting and worthwhile so was going to catch that and then to new york to catch nycfc game. i have since had a rethink and got most of cash back but took hit on the rest. crazy i know but going with my instincts.

I won't go to Houston in July, and I live 3 hours away in Austin. It's too stinky hot there. Lots of Austin blues will be there tho. It should be a good time.

I am going to the Nashville game against Spurs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.