Mancini On Pep

I refer you back to Mancini's points re: the clubs he has managed and the leagues he has been in. Let's see how Pep's goals against record is at City compared to Mancini's record at City by time he leaves us. We were a fine defensive unit under Mancini and when you think about where we were defensively under Hughes that was some achievement and he did it largely by transforming defenders who were already at the club into brilliant players something that we don't seem to be able to do at the moment.

That might have a lot do with the fact that those defenders are nearly a decade older than when they signed. I think in the long term we'll see an equally robust defensive side under Pep as we did under Mancini, just with a lot more attacking flair and intent about it.

I refer you back to Mancini's points re: the clubs he has managed and the leagues he has been in. Let's see how Pep's goals against record is at City compared to Mancini's record at City by time he leaves us. We were a fine defensive unit under Mancini and when you think about where we were defensively under Hughes that was some achievement and he did it largely by transforming defenders who were already at the club into brilliant players something that we don't seem to be able to do at the moment.

That comparison isn't necessary, he's had better defensive records than Mourinho and Simeone whilst playing against the same opposition as them. He conceded far fewer than his successors at Bayern or Barcelona.

Anyone who thinks Guardiola isn't a defensively brilliant coach just doesn't get it, the likes of Redknapp, Merson, Cascarino etc. they just don't grasp that the game has moved on...defending is keeping the ball out of the net, and Pep's teams always concede the fewest goals.

I have no doubt that when he gets things in order here we will have the best defensive record in the league and definitely eclipse the 29 goal record of Mancini's.

That might have a lot do with the fact that those defenders are nearly a decade older than when they signed. I think in the long term we'll see an equally robust defensive side under Pep as we did under Mancini, just with a lot more attacking flair and intent about it.
I'm talking more about him not being able to knock the defenders available to him into shape. Mancini helped make Zabaleta and Lescott into exceptional players. When he came in they were both average and I doubt most would have expected them to become such important parts of a brilliant, title winning defence. Pep will end up buying an entirely new defence to try and sort things because he hasn't been able to do anything like the same with the players available to him who are similarly average. I'd be surprised if we are ever as robust defensively under Pep as we were under Mancini no matter who he buys but we will see. Just as I wouldn't ever expect to see a Mancini team attack like a Pep team, I think they have different priorities as managers.

So what's the context? Was he asked his opinions and gave his honest answer or did he seek somebody out in order to say what he did?
Either way there's nothing too controversial in what he's said even if I disagree with parts.
Pep will get it right with us and the whole club will be better for it.

That comparison isn't necessary, he's had better defensive records than Mourinho and Simeone whilst playing against the same opposition as them. He conceded far fewer than his successors at Bayern or Barcelona.

Anyone who thinks Guardiola isn't a defensively brilliant coach just doesn't get it, the likes of Redknapp, Merson, Cascarino etc. they just don't grasp that the game has moved on...defending is keeping the ball out of the net, and Pep's teams always concede the fewest goals.

I have no doubt that when he gets things in order here we will have the best defensive record in the league and definitely eclipse the 29 goal record of Mancini's.

Good post mate. Saves me a reply.

I'm talking more about him not being able to knock the defenders available to him into shape. Mancini helped make Zabaleta and Lescott into exceptional players. When he came in they were both average and I doubt most would have expected them to become such important parts of a brilliant, title winning defence. Pep will end up buying an entirely new defence to try and sort things because he hasn't been able to do anything like the same with the players available to him who are similarly average. I'd be surprised if we are ever as robust defensively under Pep as we were under Mancini no matter who he buys but we will see. Just as I wouldn't ever expect to see a Mancini team attack like a Pep team, I think they have different priorities as managers.

Pep can't put Zaba and co into a time machine mate. Hence he needs to buy a new back four.

It's out of the Maureen school of management tbh, try and diminish others achievements to make your own look better. I remember him doing the same with Pellegrini as well, saying it was his team that he won the title with. All pretty harmless, but not really a fan of it. Don't really think managers should talk negatively about other managers, I don't think it does them any favours at all.

I sincerely hope you are right,because pissing about,passing around the back can only be done and made to look easy by competent players,irrelevant of what the manager says,like the workman who turns up to fit a door with a pair of plyers,not the right tools for the job,as soon as this is (hopefully) sorted THIS summer then he may have as sound a defence as Mancini had when he was with us...................but I still worry,are we going to let 6 defensive players leave and get replacements in one window,because that's what it requires

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.