Martin Petrov playing Sunday League with Chorlton Torpedo...

This isn't as strange as it sounds if he has settled in the area.

Le Tissier plays for a side in the Channel Islands and not that long ago Chris Waddle was still playing with mates for a Sunday team.

Many years ago in the Warrington Sunday League my side got drawn in the Cup against a side called "The Bay Horse" and Duncan McKenzie was in their side.

mansour's tow ropes said:
wtf surely he must have been doing it as a favour for a mate? surely he won't be playing for them full time
Its to help him with fitness before he goes back to CSKA Sofia in Bulgaria.

thats my housemate in the photo

apart from a few neat flicks and touches he was quite ordinary. just had more fitness and bagged a last minute winner to win 1-0

Typical MEN can't get the name of the team right - its Torpedo Chorlton. That's my old team we used to be really bad, started with some mates who had never played and now they have an ex-city player!

UUBlue said:
The Pink Panther said:
UUBlue said:
Brilliant. I used to play in that league - after helping to set it up and helping to run it for many years.

So did I
Who did you play for?

A team called PTL, many years ago. We were originally in a church league, and we merged with the education league to form this league. I was secretary for a number of years before moving away from Manchester.

I played for PTL as well and afterwards when we were instructed by the league to change our name, which we did to Betrix

If you helped run the league, you must be John

When I was running a team in Moss Side many years ago, we had a midweek fixture towards the end of the season and were struggling for numbers. I said to everyone on the Sunday to bring along anyone they know who fancies a game on the Tuesday or Wednesday, whenever it was and we'll play them under a false name.

This lad turns up with a pair of boots slung over his shoulders who looked vaguely familiar. When he got closer I recognized him has Pat Barrett.

For those who don't know, he was a pro boxer and this game was something like three weeks before he had a fight scheduled for a version of the World Welterweight Championship.

They played my mates team, west didsbury the other week and he set up two in the first half. Mate hit him with a let's day firm tackle and he didn't do much for the rest of the game. Posed for photos after though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.