Maximum Wage Law - Corbyn

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SWP's back, 10 Jan 2017.

1. hilts

hilts

That probably would have been the best policy in hindsight

2. bluethrunthru

bluethrunthru

professional underacheiver

3. bluethrunthru

bluethrunthru

I have no idea to be honest. I assume you also don't know how all CEO's and "luvvies" as you call them choose t cote. Thats rather a sweeping generalisation. There's many people in the entertainment business that have said they vote Tory.

The issue Corbyn spoke about is pay differentials between employees in companies from the lowest paid to the highest paid. The names quoted are not employees. Sorry if the truth offends.

4. Pokes28

Pokes28

Network Engineer
    I have a question that is related, but not exactly on topic. If a job in the UK is posted at say £40,000 pounds. Is it like the US in that the gross pay at which taxes are extracted so the net/take home pay would be a significant amount less than that? I would assume so, but when I've looked at jobs over there, the pay scale is so much lower than here in the US, I'm trying to figure out the disparity. Considering the cost of living there is so much higher, how the hell can the wages be so much less?

5. bluethrunthru

bluethrunthru

I assume because footballers are direct employees of the football club not freelance or retained as a consultant?

6. bluethrunthru

bluethrunthru

and over £250k.................. I see no evidence that Sir Philip Green was on PAYE for example.

7. bluethrunthru

bluethrunthru

I don't doubt that - Jimmy Carr is a fine example. However look at former CEO Sir Philip Green - he had a choice. Stuck loads in the wifes name registered in Monaco to avoid UK tax. Did as much as he could to be "tax efficient" when running BHS and left it in a fine state when he sold it on. The CEO's who's rewards when compared with the lowest paid in their organisation has gone from a differential of around X90 in 1997 to a multiplier of over X200 last year obviously did that in order to pay loads of extra tax............. laughable.

8. Chippy_boy

Chippy_boy

Indolence
    What I find utterly astonishing, is that Ed Milliband spectacularly and very unexpectedly managed to hand the Tories a majority by being too left wing. He dwelled too much on how the state would support them, and not enough on painting a vision about how labour would make people better off personally, and how their standards of living could increase.

Yet bizarrely, Labour have decided to replace this too-left-wing-failure, with someone even further to the left. And the party is under this bizarre illusion that since its trotsky-filled membership is going up, it might actually win a general election. When in fact, nothing could be further from the truth, as the country at large reels at this idiot's ludicrous policies. He is a complete joke to anyone other than the hard left, who are in a tiny minority in this country.

It's a great shame for the Labour party that they have allowed this to happen, and that no-one with the necessary gravitas and stature in the party had the balls to take him on in the last leadership election.

9. Chippy_boy

Chippy_boy

Indolence
    No-one said differentials have gone up IN ORDER that the top brass could have the privilege of paying more tax. Merely that as their earnings have gone up, they are paying more tax. But twist things all you like mate, if it makes you feel more unhappy; a state of mind you clearly revel in.

But here's a thought - if you tried putting your bitterness to one side, you might actually find yourself being a happier person.

10. bonespost

bonespost

Sweden,Germany,Switzerland,France,Netherlands and Australia have a wage/bonus cap some sort and they seem to be able to keep their countries ticking over .2009 when Obama started to impose a wage/bonus cap we wanted to follow suit and came up with a BoE Staff Working paper No 558.