Media persecution of Raheem Sterling

I find it particularly interesting that Murphy has noticed many of the attributes that us more "blinkered" blues point out.
Not blinkered; just what seems to be a desperate need to be the most impartial and even handed fan going. The irony when they accuse people of entrenched views is not lost.

I find it particularly interesting that Murphy has noticed many of the attributes that us more "blinkered" blues point out.
I watched the beeb airing of the game last night and Murphy was purring, literally ,at the point Sterling played the backheel down the wing.

Also said, "best game ever in an england shirt" "Been one of the men of the match" - I dont agree it was his best game ever though.

Not blinkered; just what seems to be a desperate need to be the most impartial and even handed fan going. The irony when they accuse people of entrenched views is not lost.
he's turned himself into a sterling thread clown ,after every match he comes on here with his big red nose and big shoes

I will start off by advising that I am not a city supporter, but have been an avid reader of Bluemoon for quite a few years after my city supporting missus introduced me to the forum.

I have followed this topic re: Sterling & his treatment by the media & I think its pretty obvious that he gets unfairly treated in the media in comparison to other City and England footballers.

Its also completely obvious that this stemmed from the treatment initiated by Liverpool FC & fully endorsed by the Liverpool suck-up national media in the run up to & subsequent transfer to City.

Irrespective of all of the teams individual performances in games, it is Sterlings name which is almost always mentioned in a negative context & for quite a while running up to the World Cup it has been exclusively Sterlings name used negatively.

The bbc player rating function is a perfect tool for the boo boys to pick on Sterling & with the media fanning the anti Sterling flames for the last couple of years, its easy to see how player rating function will be abused. As soon as the games kick off, Sterlings rating plummets & stays low. Clearly people, having been fed a constant diet of anti Sterling nonsense, are simply marking him low from the get go.

I saw the Matt Lawton piece after the game & its the perfect example of a pre-meditated negative attack on Sterling. The real surprise was the comments backlash against the piece which quite rightly called Lawton out.

In my opinion, there has been an anti Sterling bias in the media. There has been a bit of a let up with this during the World Cup, but if I’m honest, I expect that anything less then England winning the tournament will end up being Sterlings fault, irrespective of if it actually is or not & we will probably see Sterling being hammered again.

Lets hope he scores the winner in the final as it will likely be the only way he will escape the media feeding the general public more negative bias against him.

Maybe it's because you talk a load of shite. In fact, I've heard more reasonable comments about Sterling from armchair Dippers and Rags than the stuff you post.

This thread has clearly highlighted the unfair stick Sterling gets from the public and the media, something which you acknowledge, and yet you have a pop at City fans defending one of their own. If Sterling wasn't scapegoated then people would be more critical of him. But the fact stands that he gets picked on for things other people don't and you have highlighted this yourself. You confuse the fact of people making Sterling out to be a world beater and people commenting on Sterling playing better than other players but being scapegoated.

Sterling misses an offside sitter he gets slated. Vardy does the same and nothing gets said. You can argue semantics all you want about Sterling being two yards out and Vardy's being a harder chance but both shots should have gone in the back of the net.

Sterling dives and gets slated. Lingard and Maguire dive and nothing gets said.

Sterling tries to beat a man but gets disposed and he's wasteful. Rashford does the same and its positive play from wonderboy.

Sterling miscontrols the ball in a dangerous position and he's crap. Lingard does it and it's good movement and unlucky.

The list of double standards is fucking laughable and it's the media who stoke the club tribalism which means people don't get behind the national side.

What people fail to mention when judging Sterling is the impact he has on the team as a whole. He always wants to receive the ball from the CBs, something which we evidently lack after he went off last night. His link up play with Lingard is very good and he is playing out of position in a side designed to get the best out of Harry Kane. It's similar to the whole Yaya/Fernandinho or Owen/Heskey scenario where the player who scores the goals get all the credit but the contribution of their team mate in doing the dirty work shouldn't but often gets overlooked.

Brilliant post - well said

England were a different team when he went off.
Ive never been his biggest fan but the lad wins me round more every game.
Brilliant work rate

I will start off by advising that I am not a city supporter, but have been an avid reader of Bluemoon for quite a few years after my city supporting missus introduced me to the forum.

I have followed this topic re: Sterling & his treatment by the media & I think its pretty obvious that he gets unfairly treated in the media in comparison to other City and England footballers.

Its also completely obvious that this stemmed from the treatment initiated by Liverpool FC & fully endorsed by the Liverpool suck-up national media in the run up to & subsequent transfer to City.

Irrespective of all of the teams individual performances in games, it is Sterlings name which is almost always mentioned in a negative context & for quite a while running up to the World Cup it has been exclusively Sterlings name used negatively.

The bbc player rating function is a perfect tool for the boo boys to pick on Sterling & with the media fanning the anti Sterling flames for the last couple of years, its easy to see how player rating function will be abused. As soon as the games kick off, Sterlings rating plummets & stays low. Clearly people, having been fed a constant diet of anti Sterling nonsense, are simply marking him low from the get go.

I saw the Matt Lawton piece after the game & its the perfect example of a pre-meditated negative attack on Sterling. The real surprise was the comments backlash against the piece which quite rightly called Lawton out.

In my opinion, there has been an anti Sterling bias in the media. There has been a bit of a let up with this during the World Cup, but if I’m honest, I expect that anything less then England winning the tournament will end up being Sterlings fault, irrespective of if it actually is or not & we will probably see Sterling being hammered again.

Lets hope he scores the winner in the final as it will likely be the only way he will escape the media feeding the general public more negative bias against him.

Yep good post.
That Matt Lawton on Sterling article after Englands best night in a very long time was a disgrace and he has copped a lot of stick for it on his Twitter page, (not just from City fans) I urge all City fans to visit and comment on his shite article whether you are a Sterling fan or not.

Im glad he didnt take a penalty v Columbia, if he'd missed like Henderson did he wouldve been crucified.

Excellent post, fella

The vitiol over Raheem’s leaving the dippers for us was sadly, an obvious lightening rod for those that were railing over the power shift at the top end of the Prem a couple of years ago..as Manc Baggie has rightly spotted, the poisoness mix of self entitled dippers plus resentful ‘top 4’ fans and the lazy biased press ...Raheem’s move to us epitomised tha change that they could not bear to contemplate....
My missus is from Lyon and a bog L’OL fan so well behind France...she cannot get her head around the shyte against Raheem...she just says...but if he is a good player for England’ why do they clap when he goes off? ´....good question

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.